2000 Ford Taurus idles high

JKAMM1
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS

2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 165000 miles

I have a 2000 Taurus- the engine started idling at 2000 RPMS. After a few times doing this, it started climbing to 3000 RPMS and higher.
I replaced the IAC and the EGR- the engine will "run" at 500 rpms when the IAC is unplugged- however it stalls until it is throughly warmed up, unless I goose the throttle.
the local ford dealer could not tell me anything- they wanted to replace the computer, but said this may not be the issue.

Thursday, December 3rd, 2009 AT 1:13 PM

DOCFIXIT

Have you checked for codes? How does it drive? Did dealer diagnose car or was it a phone call? ECM controls IAC so if unpluging brings idle down that tells the ECM is doing that. If no codes for crank sensor then ECM is a possibility.

Thursday, December 3rd, 2009 AT 1:30 PM
JKAMM1

Car drives ok- small decrease in mpg. Rpms normal within the gear ranges.
The dealer had it in the shop, they could not get a clear diagnosis. They wanted to replace the ECM just so they could be sure that was not causing it.

Once I plug the IAc in- the check engine light goes off. No codes except for the IAC being unplugged.

Thursday, December 3rd, 2009 AT 2:46 PM