2000 Ford Taurus hood opening issues

• 1 POST
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS

2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 81000 miles

I have a 2000 Ford Taurus that I really haven't had that much of a problem with. One day I went to open the hood and it did not pop. Luckily I was able to pull the hood up to where I could unhook it with the lever. I took the latch apart and found out that I had a broken spring. I went to Advanced Auto Parts and the guy said to try lowes and test some assorted springs. I did that and found a spring that fit. I put everything back together and dropped the hood only to find that I assembled it wrong. The cable that ran into the car was not put in the correct spot. I didn't fix it right away because it is too cold and was able to keep my hood down. I tried to fix it on a warm day, but now i'm not able to open the hood at all. I can't even get it up to lever latch. How much is it going to cost me to take this to a shop and get the latch fixed? Is there any way I can get it open myself?

Saturday, March 14th, 2009 AT 4:05 PM

• 500 POSTS

Is there any way I can get it open myself?

You may be able to open it yourself by reaching the latch from underneath. Remove the splash panel under the bumper that goes between the bumper cover and the radiator support. Reach up from underneath to operate the latch. It is a bit of a long reach, and an awkward position, but it is possible. I do this at the junkyard frequently to find parts.

Sunday, March 15th, 2009 AT 6:27 AM