2000 Ford Taurus heater not getting hot

KEN GALEY
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS

Heater problem
2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 163000 miles

The heater is not getting hot. I have changed the thermostat and it did not get any hotter. I removed the radio/control panel. Checked the control moter and it is moving, it's full travel. The next thing I am going to try is to flush the cooling sys. If this does not work what's next?

Friday, January 1st, 2010 AT 12:53 PM

BMRFIXIT

Heater core need to be flushed
just make sure you block the bypass hose under the hood by the firewall

Saturday, January 2nd, 2010 AT 9:29 PM
DALTOMARE
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS

Heater problem 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

The heater is barely blowing out any air. I have replaced the blower motor because it broke, the blend door actuator, the thermostat twice. The problem was initially that would only get hot when driving on freeway. Now since the blower motor has been replaced, gets hot but barely any air blows out. Doesnt keep the car warm. You can't even feel the air when the car is cold. I have been told that it could be the heater core. Not sure if that has anything to do with the vents and no air coming out. Any suggestions.

Wednesday, January 17th, 2018 AT 3:11 PM (Merged)
PJHEENAN
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS

Heater problem
2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 97857 miles

I just took the car into the shop where they tried to fix a stopped up heater core by backflushing with no success. The evidence is no heat at idle with a fully warmed up engine and only lukewarm air while driving. The mechanic said the inlet to the heater core is hot and the outlet is hot for only a few seconds before the bypass engages. I was told that the heater core needed to be replaced and this can only be done at a dealership. The dash needs to be pulled and this requires the "reprogramming" of some control module that only Ford can do.

Ford wants $1500 minimum and one to two weeks. Do I have any other repair options?

JACK42

Unless more backflushing will clear it out, it wil have to be replaced. Look around for a more competent tech, they just dont want to do the job, have done several and they require no reprogramming, just alot of work.

CHEVRDNCKP
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS

Heater problem
2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I'm working on 2000 ford taurus for friend car has no heat heater core was partially clogged and flushed and blend door if at bottom of dash above heater core is working can see actuator move door and have operated door manually with actuator off problem is a/c comes on on every selection except for foot vent and blows ice cold a/c into car regardless of where temp is set at has knobs no climate control

BMRFIXIT

Check heater core hoses under hood they should be booth hot when engine at operating temp and if not you need to flush heater core again
if they are hot then blend door is stuck or the actuator is not working correct

Enter system self diagnose and check for codes let me know what you have for codes
these are the steps to enter the self diagnose
Ensure in-car temperature is 40-90 F (4-32 C) as false in-car temperature sensor DTCs will be displayed. Simultaneously depress OFF and FLOOR buttons, then press AUTO button within 2 seconds.
The display will show a dashed line in center of Integrated Control Panel (ICP) display window for up to 30 seconds while self-test is running.
Record all DTCs displayed.
And let me know
Self-diagnostics are complete when 888 is displayed in center of ICP display window.
Self-diagnostics can be initiated at any time with the resulting DTCs being displayed.
Normal system operation is stopped when system is in self-diagnostic mode

CHEVRDNCKP

Ok well that's good advice but car doesn't have auto climate control no buttons that can be pressed simultaneously car has knobs only but something is turning a/c on

BMRFIXIT

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic1_595.jpg

sorry i had no idea it a manual system and not the auto

if you see that the actuator is moving when heat selected and return when cold selected
remove blend door actuator and check make sure that the door is moving

this is how to do it
Removal & Installation
Disconnect negative battery cable.
Remove right lower console trim panel from instrument panel.
If equipped with center console, remove right, front side panel from console.
Disconnect A/C electronic blend door actuator connector from actuator.
Remove 4 screws retaining A/C electronic blend door actuator to heater/evaporator housing.
Remove A/C electronic blend door actuator.
To install, reverse removal procedure.

FEMOCHY007
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS

My heater is not working at all. Anytime I switch it on it blows cold instead of heat. And the winter is around the conner. Please what am I suppose to do? Am confused

RENAUDTN

It could be several things. Here is a short list of what you can check easily:

-your level of coolant is too low (check). If so, you could have a leak somewhere.
-your thermostat is stuck open (with engine cold, turn on your car and grab the upper hose that goes from the engine to the radiator; you should not feel any coolant going thru it until your car reaches normal operating temp; if you do, replace thermostat).
-your heater is clogged: check the inlet and outlet heater hoses with car turned on (at normal operating temp) and heat turned on. They should both be hot (the inlet being the hottest of them two).

If the outlet hose is not hot or just luke warm, your heater is clogged and you'll need to back flush your cooling system or replace the heater.
-your heater control valve is not functioning properly. Feel your inlet heater hose after the valve:

*cold? If your valve is vacuum operated, check vacuum line. If it is electronic, check connection and voltage. If line or connection okay, replace valve.

*Hot? Valve is working fine.

Now the problem could also be one of the following; these are not easy to diagnose though, and a manual would help a lot at this point:
-blend door actuator defective
-broken blend door
-weak water pump (is your car temp a little higher sometime than it used to be?)

DAVE B
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS

Heater problem
2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

We get plenty of heat when the control is set to direct heat through the vents on the dash, but no heat or air movement when control is set to send heat out under the dash toward the floor. I assume that a damper or door is not opening when it should. How best to diagnose and repair?

DAVE H

You will need to check vacuum pipe to floor door control ...

INTEGRATED CONTROL PANEL & DOOR ACTUATORS
Manual A/C-heater system heats or cools vehicle depending on function selector switch position and temperature setting. Controls are included in the integrated control panel, located near center of the instrument panel. A/C-heater controls include a function selector switch, temperature control switch and blower speed control switch. See Fig. 2 . Function selector switch actuates compressor clutch, blower motor and a vacuum selector valve that controls vacuum to door actuators. Door actuators control position of outside/recirculation, floor/panel and panel/defrost doors. Door positions determine airflow modes (panel, floor, defrost, etc.).
Temperature control switch controls an electric blend door actuator, located on rear of evaporator housing. Blend door actuator controls the position of blend door which determines airflow around and/or through heater core. Function selector switch settings affects system operation as follows:
OFF
Vacuum is applied to outside/recirculation door actuator, preventing outside air from entering system. Vacuum is applied to floor/panel and panel/defrost door actuators. Blower motor will not operate in this mode.
MAX A/C
The A/C compressor operates in this mode. Vacuum is applied to outside/recirculation door actuator, preventing outside air from entering system. Vacuum is not applied to floor/panel door actuator. Vacuum is applied to panel/defrost door actuator. Airflow exits from panel vents. Blower motor is on.
A/C
The A/C compressor operates in this mode. Vacuum is not applied to outside/recirculation door actuator, allowing outside air into system. Vacuum is not applied to floor/panel door actuator. Vacuum is applied to panel/defrost door actuator. Airflow exits from panel vents. Blower motor is on.
VENT
Vacuum is not applied to outside/recirculation door actuator, allowing outside air into system. Vacuum is not applied to floor/panel door actuator. Vacuum is applied to panel/defrost door actuator. Airflow exits from panel vents.
Floor/Panel
Vacuum is not applied to outside/recirculation door actuator, allowing outside air into system. Vacuum is applied to both ports of floor/panel door actuator allowing door to open partially. Vacuum is applied to panel/defrost door actuator. Airflow exits from panel vents.
Floor
Vacuum is not applied to outside/recirculation door actuator, allowing outside air into system. Vacuum is applied to floor/panel door actuator. Vacuum is not applied to panel/defrost door actuator. Airflow exits from floor ducts.
Mix
Vacuum is not applied to outside/recirculation door actuator, allowing outside air into system. Partial vacuum is applied to floor/panel door actuator. Vacuum is not applied to panel/defrost door actuator. A/C compressor operates to dehumidify air and reduce windshield fogging. Airflow exits from panel vents and floor ducts.
Defrost
Vacuum is not applied to outside/recirculation door actuator, allowing outside air into system. Vacuum is not applied to floor/panel door actuator. Vacuum is not applied to panel/defrost door actuator. The A/C compressor operates to dehumidify air and reduce windshield fogging. Airflow exits from defrost outlets.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_taurus_1.jpg

SEANPCONLEY
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS

Heater problem
2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

I have no heat. I replaced overflow cap, Thermostat & coolant. The heat actually blows out of the economy setting (I think from the engine heat itself) but not the defrost or regular knob setting. The outlet hose from the heater core heats up hot. The inlet (from water pump) is also hot until it reaches the split going to the bypass hose and heater core. It is only warm. Question= Heater control valve? Or flush the heater core? Any other ideas? Oh and where is this heater control valve located?

GENE315

Some heat or no heat? Try clamping the bypass hose and force the coolant to go through the heater core may take some time unless you have time to flush the system this way! Or the blend door motor could be malfunctioning. There is no valve on this model just a door that allows cold air to enter or warm air from the hearter core to enter.I did away with the bypass hose on my taurus after three years of no heat seems like all the sediment goes to the heater core and the radiator. Now I have heat that melts my eyebrows. Still cools off a little at idle but I can deal with that. Also if you flush the system and it is excessively rusty. Spend the extra on the anit rust addiitive. Let me know how you make out.

LATISHA1979
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 161000 miles

I just bought a 2000 ford taurus. I have heat, air conditioning, but it is boiling in the over feel tank. You can hear it boiling when you shut it off and the gauge does not show hot. It also smokes out of the over fill tank. I also have a 94 taurus that has had a new radiator, thermostat, water pump, hose and still over heats. It will not hold water and does not have heat. The gauge does not show hot on it either.

BMRFIXIT

I would suspect a headgasket in both cases
should have them check

PHILLYGIRL8179
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS

My car heat and air are not working. Neither is my lighter or car charger. Could it be the compressor? My air stopped working last summer. And my heat this past winter as well as car charger and lighter.

Check your fuses underhood and in car first

KENNETH LLEWELLYN SR
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS

Heater problem
2000 Ford Taurus V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 133000 miles

CHANGED THERMOSTAT HEATER HOSE HOT FROM THERMOSTAT HOUSING TO A TEE IN LINE WHERE ONE GOES TO ENGINE THE OTHER TO FIREWALL THIS ONE IS COLD BUT THIS JUNCTION APPEARS TO HAVE NO VALVE ON IT

BMRFIXIT

Heater core need to be flushed
isolate heater hoses from engine side
plug bypass hose (T) and flush heater core