1999 FORD TAURUS - RUNNING A/C DRAINS BATTERY

• kwalker726
  • 1999 Ford Taurus

1999 Ford Taurus SE, 3.0, Milage: 78,000.
When running the A/C, the car immediately loses power, sputters and dies. If I wait about 30-45min. The car starts up again. I have had the battery, alternator, and all fuses replaced. I can run all other electical (blower with or without heat, wipers, lights, etc.) Without any power loss. As soon as A/C is turned on, no power. I know A/C repair or just finding the problem is costly. Can you suggest some specific areas to check first that may be the root of the problem? Any input would be great. Thanks.

Wednesday, August 29th, 2007 AT 8:53 PM

• kwalker726

Hi Justanold,
Yes, it is like a dead battery. The battery drains when running the AC. I can feel the engine bogging down when I turn the AC on. If I leave it on long enough, the car dies. When I shut the AC off, the car speeds up and runs like normal.
I have manual temperature control.
Yes, the cooling fan runs.
Where is the anti theft light? I do not notice any lights flashing rapidly.
Battery, alternator were replaced after this problem started about 7 months ago. The battery and alternator test fine.

Thursday, August 30th, 2007 AT 6:26 PM