1999 Ford Taurus NOISE FROM BELT AREA?

JACQUEB
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
My 1999 ford torus se 6v 3.0 is making noise from the belt area wheather the ac is running or not. It is not getting hot, not losing power and the steering doesn't seem to be the issue and the ac is cold and runs perfectly. First started making a kind of rubbing (metal on metal) noise, then started squilling a little then stopped, but the rough sound is still happening. I took it to a mechanic who told me it was my ac clutch and wanted 1500.00 to replace the the condensor. The ac works great,
so I am skeptical about what they told me. What do you think, could it possibly just be the tensioner and or the belt. How would I be able to tell myself. (Oh, by the way I am a woman) so I may need easy explained instructions.
HELP A WOMAN IN DESTRESS PLEASE.

THANK YOU,
JACKIE
Saturday, July 19th, 2008 AT 3:22 AM

OBXAUTOMEDIC
Hi Jackie,

To figure this out on your own you will need a can of WD40 or similar. Then before starting the vehicle find the tensioner pulley spray the center bolt. Start the vehicle if noise has stopped find another shop to replace it. If noise didn't stop turn vehicle off spray A/C Pulley around the front trying to get lube on bearing. Start vehicle if noise stops then A/C Clutch Bearings are going bad. And I would call the shop and ask if the can replace just the A/C Pulley and Clutch, should be much cheaper.

Also depending on the engine VIN it may have an Idler Pulley it will be about the same size as the tensioner. Check it the same as with the tensioner pulley.
Saturday, July 19th, 2008 AT 7:31 AM