How to deactivate or reset anti theft

JACKNJIM
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
The key-less entry would not work and our son used his key to unlock the door and now the car will not start and the anti theft light keeps flashing. He is at college and a few guys tried to help by disconnecting battery and then they also tried turning key on waiting twenty minutes, but still nothing! Any suggestions?
Thursday, April 15th, 2010 AT 6:19 PM

TAURUSFAN01
You cannot disable the theft light. The key to start the car has a electronic chip in it. If a programmed key is not used to start up the car, it will no start. Check any other keys you have for the car. You may be using an un-programmed key or the chip in it went bad. If you go to the dealer to get the key re-programmed you will probably need all the keys with you in the event they have to totally reset the anti-theft system and re-program the keys. It is usually around $135.00.
+2
Sunday, May 9th, 2010 AT 6:58 PM
BMRFIXIT
Here is a guide that will show you how to turn off the alarm

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-reset-a-security-system

Also, check left side of dash around fuse box.

Note: Factory code is printed on owner's wallet card, located in glove compartment and on Generic Electronic Module (GEM).

Note: System only allows one personal code to be programmed. Any existing personal code will not need to be erased to program a new one.

Enter permanent factory keyless entry keypad code. Press 1/2 button within five seconds to activate programming mode. Holding 1/2 button for more than two seconds after activation will erase the stored personal code.
Within five seconds, enter new five-digit keyless entry keypad code. Power door locks will lock and unlock to confirm new code is programmed.
+2
Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 AT 1:28 PM (Merged)
ANTHONYOTT99
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
How do can I tell if my car came with key-less entry? Bought it used and do not know how to tell if it has the key-less entry. Can purchase a key fob remote to have programmed? It has power locks.
+1
DAVE H
Contact your local Ford dealer with the VIN. They should be able to tell you if your model was fitted with key-less entry.
+1
Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 AT 1:29 PM (Merged)
"The door code is located in three places. One on the security code card in the owner's manual packet. Two, in the internal memory of the module (accessed by a scan tool) and three, under the hood (driver's side) near firewall you will see the module.
+3
MAHICKS
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
75,000 miles.

Whenever I lock my car in the cold weather (after it has been in my garage overnight), the car alarm goes off five to twenty minutes after I lock my car. It has been to the dealer, who cannot get it to do this, despite trying to recreate the situation. I took it to them once during an episode, and it did go off then, just would not repeat. They say they cannot disconnect it as it would disconnect the horn, but this leaves me with a car that I cannot lock when I am out. Help! This is the first winter that it has done this.
Tuesday, September 11th, 2018 AT 12:44 PM (Merged)
SERVICE WRITER
First two things I would check are:

The door latches on these need to be well lubed with a thin penetrant like wd-40. The switch does not think the door is shut. Often a symptom of this is the dome light or door ajar light staying on abnormally. After spraying, open and shut the doors ten times or so.

Second is to check for a collapsed grommet in the hood on the left side corresponding with the hood pin switch along the left edge of the fender. They tend to rot through, allowing the pin switch to extend. This makes the anti-theft system think
someone has opened the hood. If you find this to be the case, be sure to replace the grommet with the correct part, which is made of very stiff rubber.

If this is the case you may have to fabricate something out of metal? To keep the height correct as the original part may no longer be available.
+1
AZKANAKA
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
Six cylinder four wheel drive automatic 112,000 miles.

I had to recharge my battery, and when I put it back in, the factory alarm reset. I do not have the controller to disengage the alarm, and have tried to lock and unlock it with the key, which did not work. How can I fix this problem? Is there a way to just disconnect the wiring?
+3
MERLIN2021
These are tied in to the PCM, you may need to have Ford reprogram it.
BLAIR MORT
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS
Someone tried to steal the car and broke the wire on the coil ring around the ignition switch. Can this be soldered back on? Is there a procedure for resetting the anti theft system in this case?
-2
BMRFIXIT
It is the theft system wiring. You need to have it all replaced.
Check with you local shop and or dealer for parts.
IGELATO
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
I am having a problem with the alarm system. It self arms it self no mater how you lock the auto. Now it is going off which cause the horn to beep even with the drivers door not locked. Can the alarm system be disarmed? This is a Taurus SHO
BMRFIXIT
Before performing any tests on passive anti-theft system, check the following items to eliminate common problems:
Damaged ignition lock cylinder switch.
Damaged encoded ignition key.
Non-encoded ignition key being used.
Fuses No. 15 (5-amp) and No. 18 (20-amp) not blown.
Loose or corroded connections.
Damaged wiring harness.
Damaged ignition switch.
RETRIEVING CODES
NOTE:A New Generation Star (NGS) Tester (007-00500) is required for testing the passive ant-theft control system.

Before beginning any testing, retrieve any existing Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) from Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) module. Make any repairs that may be indicated. See appropriate code related SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TESTS.
-2
IGELATO
Thank you for all the input on checking or repairing the problem but the Question on dis arming the system until it can be fixed was not answered,
Thank You
+2
BMRFIXIT
You can NOT disarm it
you need to check the codes
and fix if u disconnect engine will NOT start
good luck
RAIDER68
  • 1996 FORD TAURUS
I took the PATS receiver, ignition lock, and ignition switch off of my car. I put them back on and now have a flashing theft light in the instrument panel. The car cranks but dies immediately. How can I reset the anti-theft system?
Tuesday, December 31st, 2019 AT 2:40 PM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT
1st step should be to check for codes
Check fuses

Reset and programming keys require dealer equipment or check with local lock smith as some may have that scanner tool too

THINGS TO DO:
Disconnect the diagnostic tool for 20 seconds before cycling ignition to OFF, ACC, or RUN.
When replacing ignition keys, make sure the owner throws out ALL old keys.
Disconnect battery cables when replacing PATS module, ICM, VIC, HEC, SCIL, PCM, or EEC.
Look for fault codes in PATS. The PATS function will store fault codes when the PCM records a P1260.
Be certain of the vehicle model year. Use only parts and keys specified for the appropriate model year.
Check to make sure the issue is not with multiple PATS keys, small electronic devices that can be used to purchase gasoline, or other items on same key ring.
Check to ensure vehicle does not have an aftermarket remote starter. Disable any Remote Starter equipment, especially anything nearby the PATS Transceiver. Ford FCSD Dealer installed Remote Starter systems are approved for use in Ford vehicles.
Check to ensure vehicle does not have an aftermarket engine immobilizer. The Ford FCSD aftermarket remote entry system comes with a starter interrupt that should be disabled on PATS equipped vehicles.
If the Alarm sounds when the ignition is turned to RUN or START, refer to the appropriate PERIMETER ALARM article.
THINGS NOT TO DO:
Do not use aftermarket keys that are NOT Ford qualified.
Do not reprogram keys unless a defective key or control function has been replaced. Reprogramming keys does not fix any known problem by itself.
Do not perform more Security Access functions than required: Perform only the functions specified in the appropriate service information for this repair. Selection of extra functions may continue the no-crank condition.
PROGRAMMING PROCEDURES.
KEY PROGRAMMING USING DIAGNOSTIC TOOLS
PROCEDURE #1
1 key required. Cycle key to RUN. Enter "Ignition Key Code Erase." Disconnect Tool and leave key in RUN for 20 seconds. Cycle key to OFF and then RUN.
PROCEDURE #2
2 keys required. Cycle key 1 to RUN. Enter Security Access on the PATS control function module. Select "Ignition Key Code Erase." Disconnect Tool and leave key in RUN for 20 seconds. Cycle key 1 to OFF, then RUN, and back to OFF. Cycle key 2 to RUN.
PROCEDURE #3
2 keys required. Cycle key 1 to RUN. Select "Ignition Key Code Erase." Disconnect Tool and leave key in RUN for 20 seconds. Cycle key 1 to OFF, then RUN, and back to OFF. Cycle key 2 to RUN.
SPARE KEY PROGRAMMING USING DIAGNOSTIC TOOLS
PROCEDURE #4
Cycle an unprogrammed key in ignition to RUN. Enter Security Access on the PATS control function module. Select "Ignition Key Code Program." Disconnect Tool and leave key in RUN for 20 seconds.
SPARE KEY PROGRAMMING USING PROGRAMMED KEYS
PROCEDURE #5
1 key required. Cycle key 1 to RUN, then OFF. Cycle new key to RUN.
PROCEDURE #6
2 keys required. Cycle key 1 to RUN, then OFF. Cycle key 2 to RUN, then OFF. Cycle new key to RUN.
REPLACING PATS CONTROL MODULE OR PCM
PROCEDURE #7
Cycle a key in ignition to RUN. Enter Security Access on the PATS control function module. Select "Parameter Reset" and then Exit Security Access. Perform a PCM Keep Alive Memory (KAM).
PROCEDURE #8
Cycle a key in the ignition to RUN. Enter Security Access on the PATS control function module. Select "ICM/PCM Parameter Reset." Select "PCM/TCM Parameter Reset" and then Exit Security Access (type F).
-1
SHARYN43
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS
How can I bypass security system to start car light wont go out?
Tuesday, December 31st, 2019 AT 3:01 PM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT

There is no way to bypass the alarm system you need to reset the system to disarm it.

Here is a guide to help you.

Please let us know what happens.

-1
SHARYN43
I will try that, I rescan that doesn't work what then I don't have another key someone says it's in the computer is that why you have to use key?
+2

Sponsored links