How to deactivate or reset anti theft

JACKNJIM
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
The key-less entry would not work and our son used his key to unlock the door and now the car will not start and the anti theft light keeps flashing. He is at college and a few guys tried to help by disconnecting battery and then they also tried turning key on waiting twenty minutes, but still nothing! Any suggestions?
Thursday, April 15th, 2010 AT 6:19 PM

TAURUSFAN01
You cannot disable the theft light. The key to start the car has a electronic chip in it. If a programmed key is not used to start up the car, it will no start. Check any other keys you have for the car. You may be using an un-programmed key or the chip in it went bad. If you go to the dealer to get the key re-programmed you will probably need all the keys with you in the event they have to totally reset the anti-theft system and re-program the keys. It is usually around $135.00.
+3
Sunday, May 9th, 2010 AT 6:58 PM
BMRFIXIT
Also, check left side of dash around fuse box.

Note: Factory code is printed on owner's wallet card, located in glove compartment and on Generic Electronic Module (GEM).

Note: System only allows one personal code to be programmed. Any existing personal code will not need to be erased to program a new one.

Enter permanent factory keyless entry keypad code. Press 1/2 button within five seconds to activate programming mode. Holding 1/2 button for more than two seconds after activation will erase the stored personal code.
Within five seconds, enter new five-digit keyless entry keypad code. Power door locks will lock and unlock to confirm new code is programmed.
-1
Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 AT 1:28 PM (Merged)
ANTHONYOTT99
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
How do can I tell if my car came with key-less entry? Bought it used and do not know how to tell if it has the key-less entry. Can purchase a key fob remote to have programmed? It has power locks.
-1
DAVE H
Contact your local Ford dealer with the VIN. They should be able to tell you if your model was fitted with key-less entry.
Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 AT 1:29 PM (Merged)
TUFFFIREGUY
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS
Key-less entry came with the car, but I want a remote starter. Do I need to buy a complete system that will do everything I want or can I just have the remote starter installed to save money?
-1
"The door code is located in three places. One on the security code card in the owner's manual packet. Two, in the internal memory of the module (accessed by a scan tool) and three, under the hood (driver's side) near firewall you will see the module.
+2
EAGRONT
  • 2005 FORD TAURUS
I bought this car, and it came with only one key, which I cannot open the trunk with it. I want to know, how do I know if this particular model came with remote entry key? If so, I could buy one and program it?
BILLYMAC
Hi, yes, it came with one. Go to the dealer about $40.00 it will come with programming instructions. Billymac
-1
JOHALCO
  • 2007 FORD TAURUS
Key-less entry remote no longer works. Changed battery no luck. Tried reprogramming and found door locks did not cycle open closed. Could not go further. Any ideas? Thanks
+1
BMRFIXIT
Check fuses and the reason that doors locks not working.
Checking for B codes should help too.
JOHALCO
Have checked all fuses and they are good, the door lock button on the door works fine, but the locks will not cycle when you rotate the key eight times. I have even tried more rotations. No check engine light on or anything wrong with the car. Also, checked with Ford to see if the car had the remote entry and they said by the VIN, it had them. I do not know what else to do.
BMRFIXIT
You need the help of a scanner tool.
MAHICKS
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
75,000 miles.

Whenever I lock my car in the cold weather (after it has been in my garage overnight), the car alarm goes off five to twenty minutes after I lock my car. It has been to the dealer, who cannot get it to do this, despite trying to recreate the situation. I took it to them once during an episode, and it did go off then, just would not repeat. They say they cannot disconnect it as it would disconnect the horn, but this leaves me with a car that I cannot lock when I am out. Help! This is the first winter that it has done this.
Tuesday, September 11th, 2018 AT 12:44 PM (Merged)
SERVICE WRITER
First two things I would check are:

The door latches on these need to be well lubed with a thin penetrant like wd-40. The switch does not think the door is shut. Often a symptom of this is the dome light or door ajar light staying on abnormally. After spraying, open and shut the doors ten times or so.

Second is to check for a collapsed grommet in the hood on the left side corresponding with the hood pin switch along the left edge of the fender. They tend to rot through, allowing the pin switch to extend. This makes the anti-theft system think
someone has opened the hood. If you find this to be the case, be sure to replace the grommet with the correct part, which is made of very stiff rubber.

If this is the case you may have to fabricate something out of metal? To keep the height correct as the original part may no longer be available.
AZKANAKA
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
Six cylinder four wheel drive automatic 112,000 miles.

I had to recharge my battery, and when I put it back in, the factory alarm reset. I do not have the controller to disengage the alarm, and have tried to lock and unlock it with the key, which did not work. How can I fix this problem? Is there a way to just disconnect the wiring?
MERLIN2021
These are tied in to the PCM, you may need to have Ford reprogram it.
BLAIR MORT
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS
Someone tried to steal the car and broke the wire on the coil ring around the ignition switch. Can this be soldered back on? Is there a procedure for resetting the anti theft system in this case?
BMRFIXIT
It is the theft system wiring. You need to have it all replaced.
Check with you local shop and or dealer for parts.
IGELATO
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
I am having a problem with the alarm system. It self arms it self no mater how you lock the auto. Now it is going off which cause the horn to beep even with the drivers door not locked. Can the alarm system be disarmed? This is a Taurus SHO
BMRFIXIT
Before performing any tests on passive anti-theft system, check the following items to eliminate common problems:
Damaged ignition lock cylinder switch.
Damaged encoded ignition key.
Non-encoded ignition key being used.
Fuses No. 15 (5-amp) and No. 18 (20-amp) not blown.
Loose or corroded connections.
Damaged wiring harness.
Damaged ignition switch.
RETRIEVING CODES
NOTE:A New Generation Star (NGS) Tester (007-00500) is required for testing the passive ant-theft control system.

Before beginning any testing, retrieve any existing Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) from Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) module. Make any repairs that may be indicated. See appropriate code related SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TESTS.