1999 Ford Taurus Car starting issue

SALKIN
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
I recently had an issue when my car wouldnt start. When I took it into the shop they told me I had a parisidic draw on my battery. They unplugged it and the next day it read I had no draw on my battery. Now the car is starting to act up again. The mechanic told me I might have to get a new battery however it turns over I just have to hold the key in the starting position for nearly 3 times longer then I usually have to. Im curious if a new battery is neaded or if it could be an issue with my fuel injecters, air intake or my fuel pump. I just had a used engine put into the car and the battery is about 2 years old.

Any suggestions would be apreciated.
Tuesday, September 28th, 2010 AT 1:46 PM

WRENCHTECH
Your battery would have to be tested to answer that question.
Tuesday, September 28th, 2010 AT 2:14 PM
SALKIN
I had it tested and it passed or exceeded the tests. Walmart said it was a perfectly fine battery. However the test was done prior to taking it to the mechanic
Tuesday, September 28th, 2010 AT 3:28 PM
WRENCHTECH
Here's how you would test for a parasitic draw.

You will need a digital ammeter and a jumper wire with clips on the ends to do this.
First rig any door switches so you can have a door open without triggering the interior lights and unplug the hood light. Remove one battery cable and attach the meter in series between the battery cable and battery post. Take the jumper wire and also attach it the same way. Leave the jumper wire on for at least 10 minutes to expire all the automatic timers. Now remove the jumper wire and read the meter. Anything over 50ma is too much draw. The way you locate this is to start removing fuses one at a time until the meter drops to normal level. This will be the circuit with something staying on. Determine what components are part of that circuit and check them individually until the problem is isolated.
Tuesday, September 28th, 2010 AT 3:30 PM