1999 Ford Taurus 99 Taurus idles high - acts like Cruise c

CRACKNELL
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
Hi - All. I have a 1999 Taurus (3.0 with DOHC) that is (sort of) acting as if Cruise Control is on all the time. I replaced the Idle Control Valve which didn't help.

Detailed explanation of symptoms: When stopped at idle, the car idles fine around 800 RPM. And the car accelerates great. However, once I am up to speed, the car holds it's speed as if the cruise control is on. (Cruise control is off however - well I havent' turned it on anyway) If I shift the car into nuetral while travelling at 50 MPH or so, the RPMS shoot up and stay there. If I'm going down a slate grade (in nuetral), so the car keeps speed up, the RPMs dont' drop. However, if in nuetral and the car is decelerating, the engine RPMs slowly go down. Just as if the engine is "tied' to the speed of the car. So it's like Cruise Control is on, but if it was really on, I would think it would increase RPMs as the car decelerated in order to try and get it back up to speed. I plan to disable cruise control (I'm assuming that will be pretty easy?) To see if it is related, but figured I'd throw this out ythere and see if anyone had any thoughts. VERY CONFUSED!
Friday, June 19th, 2009 AT 11:48 AM

JGAROFALO
Have you had the car checked for trouble codes? Is the "check engine" light on? Your problem sounds like a problem with a sensor or actuator. Idle speed control motor comes to mind. Also, a bad sensor can cause the engine to rev up. Leaks in the air path into the engine can also cause false sensor readings that will raise the RPM.
Saturday, June 20th, 2009 AT 6:39 AM