1998 Ford Taurus Poor Acceleration/Other symptoms?

NCARP03
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS
Here's the many symptoms my car is having- upon start up, idle revs to almost 2000 rpm and stays there for a few minutes before finally falling to 1k; when driving, if I turn on the blower or push both window controls at the same time, the lights dim and the rpms drop; the car has horrible acceleration, almost like it is straining to go faster; absolutely no response when I push the gas pedal. I'm not a mechanic, but more of a weekend warrior. Car has new Mass airflow sensor, throttle position sensor, air filter, tuned up recently. Really stumped as to what is causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Wednesday, February 24th, 2010 AT 6:59 PM

JACK42
Check teh charging system as far as the dim lights go, have the alt and battery load tested, this can be done on the car. Poor performance, if it only idles down to 1k, you probably have a vacuum leak that is messing with the mixture. Use carb cleaner to carefully spray around the intake area, when you spray a leak, the idle will change. Look at the fitting where the PCV line connects to the intake, they go soft and leak all of the time. If the check engine light is on, have the PCM scanned for codes and get back to me
Friday, February 26th, 2010 AT 7:40 AM
NCARP03
I had autozone check the charging system and said the battery and alternator check out perfect. Any other ideas what would cause this? Not sure if it's related, but when I kick on the blower the motor loses even more power and it also shutters in spurts (almost like the car got goosebumps real quick and had a little shaking fit). Ever heard of those things or what could be causing it?

Also, somebody mentioned the IAC may be faulty? Is there a way to check the old one before going and buying a $50 dollar sensor?
Saturday, February 27th, 2010 AT 7:26 PM
JACK42
If ti only happens at idle, the IAC coudl be slow to react, causing the engine to slow down. Try cleaning out th e throtle bore with carb cleaner and a rag first to see if it will stabilize the idle. Teh IAC only affects idle quality.
Saturday, February 27th, 2010 AT 8:36 PM