1998 Ford Taurus Overheating while stopped

• 1998 FORD TAURUS

Engine Cooling problem
1998 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 141500 miles

Replaced radiator cap and put in a new 195 degree thermostat after flushing cooling system using Preston tee kit. There was heavy rust and scale in the old thermostat and section of heater hose that was cut out to install the tee. That did not fix the problem. Noted that the electric radiator fans were operational.
Purchased a new Visteon radiator and took it to a shop to have it installed. After it was installed, a mechanic there said that there was a high and low speed to the fan. I had thought there was only one speed. Driving two blocks away from the shop, I had to stop for a red light and I noticed that the temperature was climbing again. I went to the Ford dealer and bought a high speed relay and returned to the shop where they installed it. Outside air temperature that day was 100 degrees. I took it out for a test ride and parked for about five minutes turning the A/C on and off. The temperature gauge was just slightly above mid level, a little higher than when driving 45 mph. Returned to the shop and then the temp started climbing to about the 3/4 mark. The technician plugged an engine diagnostic computer under the dash and the coolant temperature was reading 224. When I turned on the A/C it fluctuated between 224 and 226.
After a few minutes the temp gauge on the dash came down to slightly above the middle but the temp on the diagnostic computer stayed at 224.
The technician theorized that the car may have got too hot when my daughter drove it one time and might have a small leak in the head gasket. Car has full power and no visible steam from exhaust. No water in oil is present. He suggested pouring some engine block sealant in the cooling system to plug up the supposed pin hole leak in the head.
My brother told me to talk to a Ford mechanic to see what the normal operating temperature is and that maybe the temperature gauge is malfunctioning.
When I stopped at a light waiting to get gas, the temp went back up. Later that night, I returned home where the air temperature was about 70 degrees and left the car idling. The needle stayed right in the middle.
I don't know if my car is fixed or not. What should I do now?

Sunday, July 19th, 2009 AT 1:32 AM

Verify the operation of the cooling fan(s). Monitor for coolant usage. I STRONGLY recommend NOT using any type of "fixit in a can" products. They may temporarily seal a leak, but will also seal the passages in your new radiator and heater core.

Ford gauges have a bracketed area on the gauge that indicates the normal operating range. As long as the needle stays within the bracketed area, engine temperature is OK.

Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 AT 4:15 PM