1998 Ford Taurus Having a hard time starting my car.

1800CARPRO
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS
The situation started 3 weeks ago.

Im turning the key in the ignition like normal 2 to 3 times before my car will start.

When turning the ignition the car makes all of the normal sounds. I can hear the engine turning over. But I don't feel the cars engine catching.

When I push the gas peddal while trying to start the car, It has little to no effect. I DONT FEEL ANY DIFFERANCE. Its if I'm not pressing it at all.

Once the car is started it drives like a dream. NO idle problems, No excelleration problems, It feels like its brand new.

With in the last month my machanic has :
changed the all Spark Plugs,
cleaned the Intake Manifold,
changed the Fuel Pressure Sensor,
and changed the Electrical Fuel Pump.
Saturday, December 26th, 2009 AT 12:23 PM

MATHIASO
A lazy crankshaft position sensor could cause that problem.
You probably do not have an engine light/engine code, but you can still ask Auto zone to diagnose your vehicle.( They are very helpful)When doing so, ask them the output voltage of the crankshaft position sensor with engine running.
Sensor voltage should be more than 0.1 volt AC with the engine running and should vary with engine RPM.(Can be read directly from the scanner)
If voltage is not within specification, the sensor may be faulty.
If you want to do it yourself and you do not have scanner, you can measure the voltage between the terminals by backprobing the sensor connector.
Saturday, December 26th, 2009 AT 6:32 PM
1800CARPRO
I had my mechanic test the sensor with no luck. He is currently replacing the fuel pump again. This time he is using one he got directly from the Ford dealership.

I should get my car back tonight. I will send you another email if the problem still persists.
Wednesday, December 30th, 2009 AT 9:13 PM
MAKINBACON
With newer cars these days and all thier gizmos and gadgets it could be the mass air flow sensor, the map sensor, I second the Crankshaft sensor, or the ignition control module, I have seen a low battery cause these things, could even be the air filter, with all these electronics I would say get a code reader and use the internal computer tell u whats misreading, though they can read faulty. One problem may be causing another. Good luck hope everything works out
Wednesday, December 30th, 2009 AT 9:46 PM
MATHIASO
Hello 1800carpro

Every engine requires four basic ingredients to start: sufficient cranking speed
(starter/ battery cables)), good compression, adequate ignition voltage (with correct timing) and fuel (a relatively rich air/fuel mixture initially). So any time an engine fails to start, you can assume it lacks one of these four essential ingredients. But which one?Insufficient cranking speed will never show any engine code.
Keep me updated and we will work on it.
Thursday, December 31st, 2009 AT 1:25 AM
MAKINBACON
Cranking speed is not a primary factor in starting an engine as much as fuel mixture and system voltage. If the engine is getting correct spark timing and the injector sprays and the air mix is sufficient then it should sputter at least. You could turn the engine by hand and start it if the ignition fires with fuel/air mixture in the cylider combustion will take place forcing the piston downward in turn turning the crankshaft if this motion continues as it should you have a running engine(Not Recommended its No model A). Still believe an upper level code reader(A good one not a walmart special.) Is a better diagnostic tool that the good ole fashioned try this method. Its not a 65 ford with points ignition or it would be alot simpler. If u can take it to a dealer they can tell you whats exactly wrong theen u can fix it your self.
Thursday, December 31st, 2009 AT 11:08 PM