1998 Ford Taurus cooling problem

KAMASTANZA
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS
Engine Cooling problem
1998 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 155k miles

Hello, I have a 98 ford taurus se 3.0l. That my wife bought from her girlfriend at work for our son. It has around 155k on it. But there is an issue with the cooling system on it.

The car over heats and the overflow starts to boil when the car is at a standstill (i.E. Traffic, street lights, etc.) For a short time, but it starts to go back to normal when air starts to flow through the radiator when the car moves. I figured it might be a faulty thermostat, so I bought new radiator hoses, a thermostat, and a new thermostat housing since there was a small piece that was chipped off where the hose connects to.

So when I removed the upper hose & thermostat housing, I was shocked to see that there was NO thermostat there, AND the fluid was brown and gunky. Oh, and I forgot to tell you, the heat doesn't work either. I put in the thermostat, housing & hoses, and brought the car down to Jiffy Lube for a power flush, and after they flushed it twice, but air was constatntly coming out of the overflow, too much so thay they said it might be the water pump. Do you agree? Thanks, Eric
Saturday, July 25th, 2009 AT 2:38 PM

BUDDYCRAIGG
That statement there tells me that someone has put a chemical stop leak in it.

Maybe they were trying to fix a head gasket problem, maybe it was a problem with a leaking radiator or heater core.

Let's check for a plugged up radiator first.
Fill the system up and start the car.

Once the cooling fan kicks on touch the hoses going to the radiator, the one going to the water pump should be a lot cooler than the one coming from the thermostat housing.

If it's not, then the radiator is plugged up.
Saturday, July 25th, 2009 AT 11:45 PM
KAMASTANZA
Thanks for the reply.I'll try that hose temp feel, but even when they did a reverse flow flush, you still think it might be a clogged radiator?

If the temp of the lower hose is cooler than the upper, what would you think it might be next? I did the oil change, and didn't see any antifreeze when draining, and there is no white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Could you think it's still be a head gasket problem?

I like what you said about the fix-a-leak possibly being the goop.I wonder if the heater core was leaking when they owned it, and they put that crap in, and now it's freaking clogged the whole cirulation.

I have that Prestone super cleaner in my cabinet, but would that help even if they did a power flush? I was thinking that this cleaner might free up some crap that the power flush didn't get. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Eric
Sunday, July 26th, 2009 AT 7:06 PM