1997 Ford Taurus Speedometer relay - Location?

GUYCADE
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
1997 Ford Taurus

Where is the relay for the speedometer located on a 1997 Ford Taurus GL?
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 7:22 PM

ZACKMAN
There is no relay for the speedometer. Speedo is controlled vis vehicle speed sensor. Is this what you need?
Thursday, June 4th, 2009 AT 3:23 AM
GUYCADE
Thank you. Where is the speed sensor located? Would that make the speedometer not work? Or what is the most common cause of the speedometer not working?
+1
Saturday, June 6th, 2009 AT 10:36 PM
ZACKMAN

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_97taurusengine1_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_97taurusengine2_1.jpg

Located at rear center of engine compartment, mounted on the transaxle. Follow the highlighted wiring harness to the transaxle.

Most common is the speed sensor, its wiring harness, then the actual gauge.
+4
Saturday, June 6th, 2009 AT 11:29 PM
GUYCADE
Thank you so much. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet but appreciate your help so much.
Sunday, June 7th, 2009 AT 9:40 PM
BGBEVAN
1997 Taurus, 200K mi. I had the classic problem indicating a speed sensor failure. Speedo didn't work and transmission shifted hard or stuck in low gear when heated up. There are two sensors on the transmission, the Vehicle Speed Sensor(VSS) located on the output shaft of the transaxle on the passenger side, and the Turbine Shaft Sensor(TSS) located under the exhaust manifold on the input shaft, accessible from the driver's side. I thought the VSS was bad but couldn't find it and ended up changing the TSS. This fixed my problem so my question is, which one of these sensors drives the speedometer? Both, VSS, or TSS? Most posts on this issue say to change the VSS when this problem occurs and make a vague reference to the TSS.
+1
Saturday, July 30th, 2011 AT 6:57 AM