1997 Ford Taurus LX (3.0 DOHC (24 Vlv))

ROCKET
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
Where is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) located on the transmission case? I can't find it and I can't tell from the Haynes' manual photo (first time thats ever happened). Is this another one of those precious Ford blind installation and removal procedures? They do love to challenge to home mechanic don't they?

I already know it's the speed sensor. Speedometer goes haywire and it won't shift out of first (intermittenly).
Sunday, July 29th, 2007 AT 1:57 PM

ROCKET
Are you sure? I finally found it and I think I get at it with a crows foot. There is enough access to get maybe a nubby in there. Oh! I forgot, I have small hands. I think I can get it.

For future reference I already had to locate the sensor for another person. The manual doesn't mention that it has an insulation cover over it (the aluminum tape insulation cover looks like part of the tranny case until you move it).

" It's on the passengers side. If you look up on the back side of the passenger side transaxle (the space between the catalytic concnverter and the transaxle housing (you can get a hand in there)) you will see a small aluminum box. That is insulation covering the speed sensor. Push up on the insulation (it moves easily) and it will reveal the speed sensor and attaching bolt. The photos in the Haynes manual show it coming out at an angle, in reality, the sensor barrel is facing straight down at you if your underneath. I haven't figured out how to get a wrench or socket on the bolt yet, but it appears to be do-able. It may take a crows foot, but since I don't have one I'll have to find another way.

Remember to save your old worm gear. The new sensor doesn't come with one.

I would have NEVER found it if I hadn't pushed up on the unsulation.

Hope that helps!"
Monday, July 30th, 2007 AT 4:26 PM
ROCKET
By the way justanold, I was always that skinny little small handed mechanic they sent in after the hard stuff to get, you've probably had a few.

I didn't mean to sound disrespectful at all.
Monday, July 30th, 2007 AT 4:50 PM
ROCKET
Update;
You can change out the speed sensor without removing the Y pipe. A 10mm crowfoot wrench on an 8" extension does the trick. For some, it may be necessary to remove the O2 sensor on the exhaust (it gives a good deal more clearance).
Friday, August 3rd, 2007 AT 3:47 PM