1997 Ford Taurus engine misfire

JRWRIGHT
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
1997 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 130k miles

My Taurus runs fine about 75% of the time and misfires about 25%. It will run fine for 10-15 minutes and then misfire for a few minutes and then go back to running fine. My code reader says codes # P0352 "ignition coil no. 2 primary circuit fault" and #P0303 "cylinder #3 misfire detected". I replaced the coil, spark plug wires and the spark plug to cylinder #3 and it still does the same thing. I removed the spark plug wire while it was misfiring and it certainly is cylinder # 3 that is the problem.

Got a solution?
Wednesday, February 3rd, 2010 AT 5:18 PM

JACK42
If it has good compression, and good spark, teh only thing left is fuel. This may be an injector that is slowly going away, working sometimes but not always.I have seen injectors set ignition fault codes before.
Wednesday, February 3rd, 2010 AT 5:29 PM
JRWRIGHT
Hmm, sounds like you're guessing too!

I only presume that it's got good compression since compression is not usually a part time thing. I don't know whether its got a spark on cyl. 3 or not, I only know that I replaced the coil, wires and cyl. #3 plug. What ever signals the coil to spark that cyl. May be out of whack (it used to be the rotor in the distributor cap, which they don't have any more). How do I figure that out?

How can you find out if it's the fuel injector without having to go to the trouble of replacing it?
Friday, February 5th, 2010 AT 8:55 AM
JACK42
To see if it is the injector, you would need the proper scan tool to watch the injector waveform for that cylinder, when it is acting up. If the PCM was having an issue firing that coil, it would give a driver code most likely.I wouldnt think it was compression, like you said it comes and goes, tht usually goes and doesnt come back. Yes, I am kind of guessing, without having the car to drive and watch on my scanner, its all guess work. Lol
Friday, February 5th, 2010 AT 10:57 AM