1997 Ford Taurus '97 Taurus has no heat

DBROUGHTY
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
My '97 Taurus's isn't blowing warm air. The coolant system has been flushed, and is good to about 30 below (it's 2-degrees outside today). The blower is working, and the ducts route the air through the selected ports. I can see the blend air motor moving the metal arm that opens/closes the door. I can actually hear the door hit its limit point when turning the temp dial to max. Wen driving, I've noticed the temp gauge approaches near full hot on occasion, but settles back down to normal after a short time. When the car was cold, I check the coolant level and it was low. I added to the full line but when bringing the car to normal temp, the pressure forced some of the coolant out of the cap. The thermostat is new, and the upper radiator hose gets hot when it opens. The two heater core hoses don't seem to get hot, but the bypass hose gets hot shortly after the thermostat opens up. I clamped this "bypass" hose shut to see if the two heater core hoses would get hot, but they did not. I did this for about 5-minutes. While clamped, the temp gauge read normal and still no heat. I disconnected the heater core hoses at these "T" connectors and ran water through them just fine - no apparent obstructions. The water pump isn't leaking or making noise. The belt appears to be in good shape, but I don't know how old it is. What do you suggest? Thanks in advance.
Sunday, January 10th, 2010 AT 11:19 PM

BMRFIXIT
This is the Check list for not heat
Check coolant level
Is the car reaching operating temp (if not or engine taking long time to reach operating temp suspect and replace thermostat )
Check heater core hoses if both are hot,
If both hoses hot and not enough heat inside suspect blend door actuator
If one hose hot and the other warm or cold the heater core need to be flushed (very common)
as a 1st step
these are the steps
WARNING: NEVER REMOVE THE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP UNDER ANY CONDITIONS WHILE THE ENGINE IS OPERATING. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS COULD RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE COOLING SYSTEM OR ENGINE AND/OR PERSONAL INJURY. TO AVOID HAVING SCALDING HOT COOLANT OR STEAM BLOW OUT OF THE COOLING SYSTEM OR DEGAS BOTTLE, USE EXTREME CARE WHEN REMOVING THE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP FROM A HOT COOLING SYSTEM OR DEGAS BOTTLE. WAIT UNTIL THE ENGINE HAS COOLED, THEN WRAP A THICK CLOTH AROUND THE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP AND TURN IT SLOWLY UNTIL PRESSURE BEGINS TO RELEASE. STEP BACK WHILE THE PRESSURE IS RELEASED FROM THE COOLING SYSTEM. WHEN CERTAIN ALL PRESSURE HAS BEEN RELEASED, PRESS DOWN ON THE PRESSURE CAP (STILL WITH A CLOTH), TURN AND REMOVE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP.
Engine cool
lower the coolant level
Locate the two hoses running to the heater core
disconnect them at the engine side leaving hoses connected to heater core throw the firewall
make sure you pinch and close the bypass hose between the two heater hoses
use garden water hose and compressed air if possible
run the water and follow by air throw one side and out the other and vice versa
do that two to three times watching what leaving the heater core you are looking for the good flow and clear water to run throw
reconnect hoses
top off coolant system
good luck
let me know
Monday, January 11th, 2010 AT 6:31 PM