1996 Taurus

SLAROCQUE
  • 1996 FORD TAURUS
I have a 96 Ford Taurs 85,000 miles bought it used about a year ago. It always ran a little hot, but never had any problems with it overheating. Well, my mom used it once and it overheated on her on the freeway. She doesn't remember if she shut if off or if it shut off on her. She had it towed back to her house. My Dad replaced all the fluids, checked the oil, etc... Now, it won't start. There are no visible leaks and there is no fluid lost. A local mechanic said it could be the heater core but couldn't say for sure without looking at it. He said to replace the heater core would be about $800. And he can't guarantee that the car will work after that. Is it the Heater core? Wouldn't there have been water in my car if it was the heater core? What else could it be? Should I replace the heater?
Wednesday, September 19th, 2007 AT 6:28 PM

BMRFIXIT
So what do you need to know
do you think if replacing the heater core will make the car start?
First you need to get the car started

heater core is just for heat and may be leaking but that not going to stop the car from starting
it will make the car over heat after leaking the antifrez

check basic first
fuel
spark
in your case I would check engine compression
good luck
Wednesday, September 19th, 2007 AT 6:52 PM