Wipers not working

HEIDIJOYEO
  • 1996 FORD TAURUS

Six cylinder automatic 183,125 miles

Yesterday I cleaned the corrosion off the positive terminal of my battery, get in my car today and now the wipers will not work. Does that have anything to do with cleaning the terminal yesterday? I have been having alot of problems starting my car lately and that is why I cleaned the corrosion to eliminate my possible choices. I need my wipers though. Someone please help!

Monday, October 25th, 2010 AT 10:14 AM

That should not have caused the problem. Have you checked to see if there is power to the wiper motor?

Monday, October 25th, 2010 AT 10:16 AM
PAF7HOT
  • FORD TAURUS
  • MERGED

75,000 miles
Question: Where is the GEM module for the wipers? I have replaced the fuse, switch, relay, motor for the wipers and they still do not work. The manual I have says it the only thing left, but it does not give me a hint as to where it is. The local Ford dealer said it was at the back of the box where all the fuses and and relays are under the the drivers side dash panel but it is not. So can you tell just where it is?Thanks, Ron :(

Saturday, December 31st, 2016 AT 4:00 PM
SCCAIN
  • MERGED

The GEM module is piggybacked behind the fuse box inside the car.

PAHA
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
  • MERGED

Six cylinder two wheel drive automatic 67,087 miles

I have only own this vehicle for two months and the following has just started going on:
When I start my car and leave it in park, all electrical items function well. However, when I move the gear shift lever to reverse or drive, the radio shuts off, electric windows will not go up or down, power steering turns off, and intermittent windshield wipers will not work, (wipers will work in low, medium or high). If I move the shift lever to neutral, all of the above items will work. As soon as I move to drive or reverse, these items will not work.
If I listen carefully while going from park to reverse, I can hear a clicking sound coming for the instrument panel and the seat belt light blinks.
Have you seen this problem before?

BMRFIXIT
  • MERGED

Use a volt meter check battery volts
checking charging system ,when in park and when in drive or reverse

check belt and alternator function

GENERAL INSPECTION
Ensure battery posts and cables are clean and tight. Check drive belt tension. Ensure connections at generator, regulator and engine ground are clean and tight. Check fuses and fusible links, replace as necessary.
Check condition of battery to see if battery has the ability to accept and hold a charge. If battery capacity meets requirements, charge battery before proceeding with testing to ensure battery is fully charged.
NO-LOAD TEST
Connect voltmeter positive lead to B+ terminal on generator and negative lead to ground. Start and run engine at 1500 RPM with no electrical load (foot off brake and doors closed). Read voltmeter when voltage stabilizes. This may require waiting a few minutes. Voltage should be 13-15 volts.

If voltage increases to proper level, proceed to load test. If voltage increases beyond proper level, or no voltage increase, let me know
load test
Ensure drive belt is in good condition and properly tightened. Connect charging system load tester in accordance with manufacturer's instructions. Start and run engine at 2000 rpm and apply load until generator output amperage levels off.
Record maximum generator amperage output. If generator output is within twenty percent of rated output amperage and voltage remains at 12.5-14.5 volts, generator output is okay. If generator does not produce rated output, proceed with appropriate testing.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_1_22.jpg

PAHA
  • MERGED

It is not a problem with the battery or charging. I tested the battery with a load test and it passed. I also tested the alternator and it is operating at 14.0 volts whether in park, neutral, reverse, or drive. In addition, all other electrical items function properly, (i.E. Headlights, door locks, interior lights, horn, cruise control, etc.), Except for the electric windows, radio, and power steering.

Even with the ignition on and the engine not running, the radio and the electric windows will not work; however, all other electrical items work.

Can one of the many relays be malfunctioning? If so, which one?

+1
BMRFIXIT
  • MERGED

Check igntion switch and check if can adjust it.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_1_33.jpg

PAHA
  • MERGED

I checked the ignition switch and the problem is not there.
While I was under the dash, I tried shifting from park to reverse and then to neutral and I could hear a clicking sound coming from the delay accessory relay. I checked this relay and the others and found them working properly.
I started disconnecting connections in the engine compartment and found that when electrical connection to the transmission range sensor was removed, the radio and electric windows would work in all positions of the gear selector lever. However, the engine would not start.
Can the problem be in the transmission range sensor?

BMRFIXIT
  • MERGED

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_1_37.jpg

Very uncommon for the switch to be the problem as the switch should have no effect on redirecting the power.
check wiring harness for aftermarket rewiring.

PAHA
  • MERGED

The problem turned out to be with the Transmission Range Sensor, (Neutral Safety Switch). I removed it and headed to the junk yards. I found another 1997 Taurus and removed this sensor. When I got home and installed it in my car, all electrical items and power steering work in all gears.

I solved the problem using the process of elimination.

Thank you for your time.

PATRICKDOTSON
  • 1994 FORD TAURUS
  • MERGED

Six cylinder front wheel drive automatic 150,000 miles

when switch is turned on and car is running windows and wipers do not work, but when switch is turned to accessories everything works.

BMRFIXIT
  • MERGED

Check and suspect ignition switch.

BMRFIXIT
  • MERGED

Glad all worked out for you and thank you for the update.

JERUSHALEM829
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
  • MERGED

Six cylinder automatic 85,000 miles

While driving in a rainstorm one of my windshield wipers started acting weird and shaky and then completely stopped working. The driver's side works perfectly fine while the passenger side does not work at all. What do I do?

BMRFIXIT
  • MERGED

Remove cover at base of wiper arm and tighten hold down nut.

JERUSHALEM829
  • MERGED

This did not work. Do you have any more ideas?

BMRFIXIT
  • MERGED

Have to remove and check transmission wiper.
99% of the time nut on the arm become loose and one side work other do not.
But you said that was not the case.
so, next step should be removing the transmission and checking if any links came off.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_fan_24.jpg

Please consider a donation if we helped you
ONDARKOA
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS
  • MERGED

Six cylinder two wheel drive automatic 90,000 miles

I turned on my car and put in reverse when my radio made the noise it makes when I turn off the car. I noticed it was not working and the dash lights behind the heat is not working, the windshield wipers and the speedometer/odometer is not working. Any ideas? All the fuses were checked and are fine!

MUSTANG87
  • MERGED

Any check gauges or check engine lights on? Well to me it sounds like a bad body control module. Body control module controls dash guages power locks windows radio all power options inside etc. Note this is not the main computer this is just a module it is called body control module. Must take vehicle to electrical shop to get it checked to make sure whats wrong. In case that you need the module do not buy it new get it used because new is too expensive and used possible $50.00 to $150.00. New $500.00 to $800.00 or more. Do not need new because these modules rarely fail. Good luck.

Saturday, December 31st, 2016 AT 4:01 PM
GARY ELSER
  • 1995 FORD TAURUS
  • MERGED

Wipers quit working. I changed the fuse then changed the wiper motor. Still not working. I am getting power to one wire at the electrical plug. Is there anything else I should check?