1996 Ford Taurus shifting problems

• 1 POST
  • 1996 FORD TAURUS

1996 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 183.00 miles

my car pulls great but when I go to slow down and then immediatly press the accelarater to go it kinda slips or somthing but if I slow down and wait about 5 or 6 seconds then I go it's fine I was told by 1 person that my transmission was shot but I was also told by several other people that it could be my transmission filter damaged could that be the case? If so should I change the fluid as well or reuse the old?
i personally don't think it's my tranny cause it shifts like a new car I stop on a hill after I wait for the transmission to shift down I press the gas pedal and it goes with no hesitaion please help thanx

Monday, May 4th, 2009 AT 3:15 PM

• 500 POSTS

To check the overall condition of the transmission, the fluid is usually the best indicator. Check the level with the car warmed up, engine idling in park, and on a level surface. Correct the level as necessary.
Next, examine the fluid. It should be fairly clear and of a pink to red color. Look for any signs of metal particles by dabbing some on a clean tissue or paper towel. There should be no particles. A dark film is acceptable.
Next, smell the fluid. It should have a fairly "clean" and oily smell, and should not smell burned. A varnishy smell is an indicator that the fluid should be changed.

If the fluid checks out OK, I would next check for any trouble codes. Transmission trouble codes are obtained in the same manner and at the same connector as engine codes - BUT many transmission codes will NOT light up the "check engine" light.

Your problem sounds more like a sticky valve in the valve body than anything else. It sounds like the transmission is mechanically sound otherwise.

A fluid and filter change along with one of the many transmission additives may solve the problem. I normally tend to stay away from additives, but in this case, it may actually do some good.

Good luck!

Monday, May 4th, 2009 AT 6:20 PM