1996 Ford Taurus shifting problems

LILC
  • 1996 FORD TAURUS
1996 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 183.00 miles

my car pulls great but when I go to slow down and then immediatly press the accelarater to go it kinda slips or somthing but if I slow down and wait about 5 or 6 seconds then I go it's fine I was told by 1 person that my transmission was shot but I was also told by several other people that it could be my transmission filter damaged could that be the case? If so should I change the fluid as well or reuse the old?
i personally don't think it's my tranny cause it shifts like a new car I stop on a hill after I wait for the transmission to shift down I press the gas pedal and it goes with no hesitaion please help thanx
Monday, May 4th, 2009 AT 3:15 PM

JGAROFALO
To check the overall condition of the transmission, the fluid is usually the best indicator. Check the level with the car warmed up, engine idling in park, and on a level surface. Correct the level as necessary.
Next, examine the fluid. It should be fairly clear and of a pink to red color. Look for any signs of metal particles by dabbing some on a clean tissue or paper towel. There should be no particles. A dark film is acceptable.
Next, smell the fluid. It should have a fairly "clean" and oily smell, and should not smell burned. A varnishy smell is an indicator that the fluid should be changed.

If the fluid checks out OK, I would next check for any trouble codes. Transmission trouble codes are obtained in the same manner and at the same connector as engine codes - BUT many transmission codes will NOT light up the "check engine" light.

Your problem sounds more like a sticky valve in the valve body than anything else. It sounds like the transmission is mechanically sound otherwise.

A fluid and filter change along with one of the many transmission additives may solve the problem. I normally tend to stay away from additives, but in this case, it may actually do some good.

Good luck!
Monday, May 4th, 2009 AT 6:20 PM