1996 Ford Taurus My car has issues :(

ERINFROEHLICH21
  • 1996 FORD TAURUS
Engine Cooling problem
1996 Ford Taurus Automatic

So I have 1996 Ford Taurus that has been having overheating problems for a couple of days, but didn't seem to affect the way it ran. However, yesterday when I was driving home and it started to make a very loud rattling noise whenever the accelerator was pressed and it stalled out. I was able to switch it into park, turn it off and restart it just to have the same thing go on again after a very short and noisy ride. I know it must be some sort of cooling problem, my car is leaking green fluid and one of my friends noticed my fan wasn't working when the engine was running. How much do you think this would cost to fix?
Thursday, May 8th, 2008 AT 8:22 AM

DDANN
The nois you were hearing probably was the fluid boiling First look to see if the front of the radiator is clear of blockage, the front isnt smashed closed, etc if it looks fine then the lack of fan and overheating might have caused a build up of gunk, take it to the carwash and remove the two hoses spray through and watch what comes out, it would be smelly and probably brown If it is caused by overheating then the leak might be on the little metal line that goes from the radiator to the transmission let the car get warm and see if the fluid is leaking out around where it connects to the radiator a new line is pretty cheap. If this doesnt work after 1 or 2 tries try taking it to have the coolant flushed profeshionally. Also on my taurus the fan is set by a thermostat and only turns on when the car reaches a temperature of 190 degrees so also check that when it gets hot. It all could be caused by a bad thermostat which could make life a lot easier on you
Monday, May 12th, 2008 AT 11:56 AM
JUSTDON
Fan relay has failed. A Taurus is very sensitive to overheating. I hope that a head gasket and/or intake gasket has not blown due to the overheating.

Never re-statr an overheated engine. I would bet that you need a professional to take a look to rule out further damage to the engine.
Sunday, May 18th, 2008 AT 10:56 PM