1996 Ford Taurus Low cylinder compression

SMCPHAIL
  • 1996 FORD TAURUS
1996 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive 90000 miles

My 1996 Ford Taurus, w/90,000 miles, check engine light came on. The mechanic did the diagnostic and he determined that I had low compression in #6 cylinder. He told me that aside from a engine overhaul, there is nothing much else to do. I see that there are engine additives that claim that they can help improve overall engine performance, including better compression. Are additives an option and can you recommend a specific one?
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 8:36 AM

BILLYMAC
Hi well your mech may be right however he has to finish the test and pinpoint why comp is low is it a ring a cyl a valve timeing. Completeing the test will answer these questions. Could be a valve which would be rebuilding valves could be a set of rings. Without a complete comp test and a cyl bal test just a guess. Most certainly a overhaul would fix it but is it nessacary? Good luck billymac
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 10:43 AM