1996 Ford Taurus Intermittent Transmission Failure

OENOMASTER
  • 1996 FORD TAURUS
I live in Australia and bought a second hand Taurus Jan 2008. Was having trouble Jan 2009 with the transmission going into neutral around left hand bends and took a while to engage from start but transmission was serviced and then wotked OK. I was told the transmission was on its last adjustment and may not last a lot longer. Last month had trouble not going into overdrive at 100 Km/H, but stopping the car, turning off and on again sorted it out. Last Tuesday without notice the car would not properly engage gear from neutral, allowing the car to travel around 10 Km/H at full revs; a few hours later it worked OK. Faults logged included P1761 Shift Solenoid C (also P1744 TCC System Performance, P1518 IMRC stuck open and P0734 Gear 4 incorrect ratio). Last week happened again, and turn off turn on again sorted it out. Happened again today, did not respond to turn off turn on and did not seem to log a relevant fault (did log C1928 VAPSII Input Ground Short, B1450 Wiper Delay Fault and B1322 Driver Door ajar). When the car goes it is fine which makes me think it is not mechanical but electrical. Any suggestions? Thanks Greg
Thursday, June 18th, 2009 AT 6:41 AM

JGAROFALO
I suggest that you look over your grounding points. Particularly the ones that ground the PCM. Also look for dirty contacts at the PCM connector and at the connector on the top of the transmission. I have serviced strange problems like yours in the past, and it usually turns out to be bad connections. Keep in mind that the simple act of disconnecting and reconnecting a connector can be enough to dislodge contaminants that are not even visible to the unaided eye.

As a side note: There are no "adjustments" as such on your transmission. Bands are adjusted by selective length servo pins, and clutch clearances are adjusted by selective retaining rings in the clutch packs. Most of these "adjustments" require extensive disassembly of the transmission and special gauging tools to accomplish.
Thursday, June 18th, 2009 AT 4:02 PM
OENOMASTER
Thanks for your reply, the variius intermittent faults led me to think it was in the control system somewhere. Maybe the not going into OD was tyhe Shift SOlenoid C playing up? Last adjustment of transmission was language used by local Automatic Trans mechanic.

I note from your site a while back:

AX4N - INTERMITTENT NEUTRAL CONDITION/NO MOVEMENT TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN Reference Number(s): 98-3-7, Date of Issue: February 16, 1998 Related Ref Number(s): 98-3-7 ARTICLE BEGINNING TRANSAXLE - AX4N - INTERMITTENT NEUTRAL CONDITION - NO FORWARD OR REVERSE MOVEMENT - VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 2/1/98 APPLICATION Model(s): Ford: 1994-98 Taurus Lincoln-Mercury : 1994-98 Sable 1995-98 Continental Bulletin No: 98-3-7 Date: February 16, 1998 ISSUE Some vehicles may experience an intermittent Neutral condition after driving and coming to a stop. This may be caused by the bonded seal on the forward clutch piston intermittently not sealing during the 3-2 downshift. ACTION Replace the forward clutch piston with a revised Forward Clutch Piston (F8DZ-7A262-AB). Refer to the following SERVICE PROCEDURE for details. SERVICE PROCEDURE Clean and reseal the transaxle completely including replacement of the forward clutch piston with revised forward clutch piston and replace the forward clutch plates if darkened or discolored from heat. Refer to the appropriate Continental Service Manual, Section 07-01, or the appropriate Taurus/Sable Service Manual, Section 07-01B, for details. Be sure to check end clearance on all three (3) select fit thrust washers (#16, #8, #5) and clutch clearances (forward clutch clearance is 1.02 - 1.50mm (0.040 - 0.059")). Be sure to clean and inspect the main control (pump and valve body ) and servos. Prior to returning vehicle to customer recheck fluid level at operating temperature. Page 1 of 2 AX4N - INTERMITTENT NEUTRAL CONDITION/NO MOVEMENT -1997 Ford Taurus.

Could also be part of the issue? Will keep driving for a while, have connectors checked next time and see how we go.

Best regards, Greg
Thursday, June 18th, 2009 AT 4:58 PM
JGAROFALO
Shift solenoid C is the one that engages overdrive - or 4th gear if you prefer. Also, is your transmission the AX4N or the AX4S (also called AXOD METRIC)?

Another thing that affects the O/D engagement is the O/D servo. This is the one at the top of the case closest to the chain cover. Servo problems have also been known to exist. The latest servo piston with the piston pressed on the pin seems to solve the "weak" overdrive problem.
+1
Thursday, June 18th, 2009 AT 5:58 PM