1996 Ford Taurus Heater Problem

DEB452
  • 1996 FORD TAURUS
I am not getting sufficient heat. All the pipes going into and out of the fire wall are hot. When I turn the dial to heat it gets slightly warm in the car, when I turn on the deforster it gets colder. Then sometimes it gets nice and warm but not often.
Thursday, December 4th, 2008 AT 6:36 PM

IMPALASS
Hello

Based off of what you said it - the troubleshooting for this is: low engine coolant level, engine overheating, thermostat, plugged or partially plugged heater core, inoperative A/C electronic door actuator motor.

The first thing I see is possible an inoperative A/C electronic door actuator motor. I can attach a test for that if you want.

I want to make sure I have the correct vehicle though. Is this a Taurus G, GL, LX or SHO. Is the engine a 3.0L only, or a 3.0L Flex fuel, or a 3.0L DOHC VIN S MFI (look at the 8th digit of your VIN for VIN)

So the car engine has no overheating or anything like that----all is normal there.

For you A/C - that blows out of your defroster, or vent, or floor when selected?

For your heat - is the defroster the only one not working right? So it blows out of your defroster, or vent, or floor when selected?

When it does go to cold. Are both hoses at the firewall sill the same - hot or is one not as hot?

Please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O'Reilly's (OR) and for FREE they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for FREE also they can bring their tester out and check your battery, alternator and starter.

Is this a manual or automatic system?

Please provide the information.
Thursday, December 4th, 2008 AT 7:35 PM