1995 Ford Taurus Why is my Taurus Over heating

JPETROFF
  • 1995 FORD TAURUS
Dis mourning on my way to work (8mi away) my taurus got really hot almost red lined, what could cause this problem, nothing was leaking untill I stop and parked the car then a little antifreeze came out of the res. Tank, no new noises are comeing from the car, I was gonna start with the thermostate and flush the rad. Could really use some help.

Jason
Thursday, May 14th, 2009 AT 2:33 PM

JGAROFALO
You are on the right track. A stuck thermostat or a plugged radiator are the most common causes of overheating. Following that you can check the following:

Radiator hoses - check for hoses that are too soft, and could be collapsing internally while driving.

Water pump - look for any signs of looseness or leaking.

Cooling fan - make sure that it comes on when the temperature reaches the correct temp. Keep in mind that a cooling fan will not cause overheating while driving normally. The cooling fan is only necessary at low speeds or idling in traffic.
Thursday, May 14th, 2009 AT 4:17 PM
JPETROFF
I replaced the thermostate, it was in pieces! I am haveing trouble locating the drain plug for the radiator, is it the lower coolant line? And my hoses feel soft but what do you mean by collapsing? Will I be able to see that? The car seems to get hotter the faster I go? Thank you for the info it really helps!

Jason
Thursday, May 14th, 2009 AT 9:36 PM
JGAROFALO
The drain is on the bottom of the radiator tank. It looks like a thumbscrew or wingnut.

Hoses are a laminated rubber, with a layer of fabric between two layers of rubber. When they begin to deteriorate, the inside layer of rubber can seperate from the fabric, and close off or restrict he coolant flow. This is not something you can see.

From this point, I would suggest a set of radiator hoses and a radiator flush.
Saturday, May 16th, 2009 AT 6:20 AM
JPETROFF
Thank you guys I will replace the rad hoses today, I flushed her out yesterday, and she is still overheating, I hope this works, Thank you again

J
Saturday, May 16th, 2009 AT 10:53 AM