1995 Ford Taurus Mis-Fire diagnosis

TMCG
  • 1995 FORD TAURUS
Greetings. This is a 3.0 GL model. Recent blown head gasket between #1 and 2 cylinder. While off I had the heads pressure tested and magnafluxed; discovered several cracks. Acquired a set of aftermarket heads, and populated them with the old valves after cutting, new seals, etc. Put it back together and it started posting 302 code w/check engine light blinking. Replaced plugs, wires and swapped coil pack with a known good one. Code returned after 5-10 miles driving. A miss can be felt during driving. I decided to remove and clean the injectors. All injector coil resistance consistent around 19 ohms.

New seals, pintles and filters as well. Upon re installation I moved the #2 injector to the #4 cylinder position. Cleared the codes. After a short drive it posted codes of both 302 and 304. I plan to move the injector from #4 back to #2 but have yet to do so. There are no apparent vacuum leaks, and least none observable. Compression is consistent and steady between 155 and 160, with the exception of #2 which is 125lbs. Which seems odd. At this point I'm just soliciting opinions to see if I'm on the right track or overlooked something that could be obvious to you. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks.
Monday, January 19th, 2009 AT 1:46 PM

MERLIN2021
That #2injector may be bad, but the wiring to the #2 is also suspect, when the problem moved with the injector, that tells you the injector is either bad, or clogged, and the fact that the #2 stayed bad, the wiring could be a problem.
Monday, January 19th, 2009 AT 3:24 PM
TMCG
Thanks. I was leaning toward that possibility. Two questions though. Do you know where I could get an illustration of the individual injector wring that corresponds to contact points on the ECM plug? And secondly, any thoughts on that #2 cylinder having compression about 20% less than the others?
Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 11:46 AM
MERLIN2021
If the ompression is less than 15 psi of the next lowest reading, pull the head and re check the grind of the valves, or make sure the valve lash is right, overhaed cam folower may be the wrong size, any valve noise? Also to eliminate a ring problem, did you wet test the compresion too? Put a few drops of oil in the cylinder and recheck, All plugs removed please!
Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 4:33 PM
TMCG
I just wanted to follow up on this. I checked the valves in #2 just to be sure the rockers were torqued properly since there's no valve adjustment on this engine; all good. While I had it apart I swapped injector 4 back to #2. When reinstalling the upper intake manifold it seemed to not seat properly. After rocking it around a bit it appeared to seat fully. When I started it up, miss was gone and the engine ran smoothly. Drove it for about 50 miles to test it and it continued to run strong; no miss and no 30x codes. I can only think that the upper intake manifold was not seated properly on the first go round.
After a couple days new codes postes; 0430 and 1744 but I think that's unrelated. Just wanted to let you know the outcome.
By the way, for a 1744 is the TCC solenoid actuator internal or external to the trans?
Saturday, January 31st, 2009 AT 8:33 AM
MERLIN2021
First, if this is a 95' it should have OBDI and you are giving me OBDII 96' and newer codes?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_taurus_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_taurusc_1.jpg

Saturday, January 31st, 2009 AT 8:47 AM
TMCG
Merlin, first off, right you are on the year. It's my son's car and I just had 1995 in my head.
Anyway your reply is quite a mouthful and I appreciate the detail you provided. Considering the specialized equipment, familiarity with what a Quick or KOEO test is for example, detailed wiring and connector diagrams or the Maintenance Analysis procedures of the manufacturer; you made it very apparent that I would be biting off more than I could chew if I started messing with the transmission.
Thanks again for all your help. Although it appears to be running/shifting fine over the past 500 miles or so, I guess he'll just have to drive it until the trans gives it up. Tom
Sunday, February 8th, 2009 AT 8:17 AM
MERLIN2021
OK.
Sunday, February 8th, 2009 AT 8:38 AM