1995 Ford Taurus 95 Taurus SHO misfires when hot

PACECLASSA
  • 1995 FORD TAURUS
SHO. 3.0L 6cyl MTX 147K. Engine runs for about 20 minutes. Gets up to operating temp. Then starts misfiring (speed up, slows down. Jerking the car around.) When it cools down, it stops. Just started happening a week ago. If I shut down while hot and try to start. It is hard to start (lights fade, hard to turn over. Like the battery is almost dead) then it turns over and misfires. If it is cool, runs perfect. It is definitely heat related. Coolant is fine, oil is fine. Battery is a year old and tested good. Could this be a thermostat, head gasket (no white smoke), alternator (alternator was replaced 3 years ago)?

Tim
Saturday, April 10th, 2010 AT 12:43 PM

MATHIASO
Hello paceclassa

it is heat related and the most likely is the ignition module or a weak residual fuel pressure could cause the same problem.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_module_3.jpg

you will need to check fuel residual pressure if module is good.(fuel pressure in fuel line after engine shut off).
Sunday, April 11th, 2010 AT 7:57 AM
PACECLASSA
Awesome! I am pretty sure it wasn't the alternator or thermostat. I was hoping it wasn't electrical. It doesn't appear to be. Here is what I did. I researched and figured either the ignition coil or the coolant temperature control sensor. So I opened the hood to look at them. The coolant temp. Control in the car looked different than the one in the picture I had of it. Same with the ignition coil. So I removed the connectors and took them both out. Blew out the dust from the connectors and cleaned them up a bit and put them back in. Just drove the car for 90 minutes, fast, slow, stop and go, highway, city. Not a problem. But, if it happens again, I will replace the ignition control module. All three just kind of sit top of the intake manifold or the throttle body. Hopefully, car is safe to drive now. What do you think before I get in rush hour traffic in the morning? Thanks for the help!
Sunday, April 11th, 2010 AT 11:30 AM
MATHIASO
Thank you for your donation and for visiting 2CarPros. Com we hope to help you again the next time you need us
Sunday, April 11th, 2010 AT 2:17 PM
PACECLASSA
You think it is safe to drive? Its my everyday commute car.
Sunday, April 11th, 2010 AT 3:24 PM
MATHIASO
yes it is safe to drive it.
Dust in connector specially with the ignition coil won't help for current flow.
You did a good job.
Sunday, April 11th, 2010 AT 4:12 PM
PACECLASSA
Ahhh. The wonders of electronics. So it started again, but this time the check engine light came on and then the car stalled. Had to wait 5 mins for it to cool down enough to start. Got it home, pulled the engine control module (really easy) and took it in to get a replacement (internet said it was available at the store, but it wasn't - had to go to a store about 10 miles away). While I was at the store, they tested it (about 10 times to get it hot) and it tested good so I thought. Replace the ignition coil and the guy at the store said that was probably the cause. So I bought a coil and put it in. Didn't solve it. So I drove the 10 miles, picked up the module and put it in. Mathiaso was exactly right. It was the ignition control module. The moral of the story. Sometimes tests are wrong and the guy at the autoparts store is wrong too. But I saved a ton doing this myself with reman'ed parts. Thanks guys!
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 9:20 AM
2CARPROS LINSEY
Hi paceclassa, Were glad you got your problems resolved and mathiaso took good care of you. Thank you for using 2CarPros. Com. We appreciate your donation and look forward to helping you in the future. Have a great day!
Wednesday, April 14th, 2010 AT 11:36 AM
MATHIASO
Have a great day and thanks for your donation
Thursday, April 15th, 2010 AT 1:00 AM
PACECLASSA
So. After all of this stuff, it wasn't the ignition control module at all. The car went back to doing misfiring and hesitating like a person learning to drive a manual. Then stalling. It was the Camshaft Position Sensor. I also found the oil leak. There is a gasket around the crankshaft flywheel and that is leaking, getting oil all over the sensor and the sensor was failing. A $30 part.

Benn driving it for a few months and now the car won't start. It will crank but not start. I have had it at two shops and they can't find the problem. They both tell me the plugs aren't getting a spark, but they tested everything on it and it tested good. They can't figure it out and gave the car back to me. I thought it was the cam position sensor that failed again (the cranking but not starting is the indicator) since I used a reman'ed part, but both shops said it tested good.

Coil, cables, ignition. Etc have all been tested. Timing belts checked out OK too

Any ideas?
Friday, October 8th, 2010 AT 3:05 PM