1994 Ford Taurus Installing a tachometer

RBOBMAR1937
  • 1994 FORD TAURUS
This is my wifes car and since it came with minimum mechanical gauges I would like to install a tachometer in the dash.I have it mounted and wired except the two wires (blue&yellow) that should go to the coil or a tach. Connection. Could you please define the four wire hookup for me?I overhauled and repaired crash boats, Hudoson Invaders and Defenders and Graymarine Diesels, plus all my own engines. These smog controlled with computer control are beyond me. Back then I could fine tune an engine till it purred & got beter gas mileage. Thank you for any help you can give me ;Respectfully Bob Marsh I would be more than happy to donate(I love the profession)But at 73 yrs. Old and on fixed income I can't till after the 3rd of the month.
Monday, June 29th, 2009 AT 1:55 AM

JGAROFALO
According to the Ford service manual, the tach wire is a TAN wire with a YELLOW stripe. The ground is a BLACK wire with a WHITE stripe.
Power comes from a common trace on the printed circuit board that is fed by a RED wire with YELLOW stripe. Also according to the manual, there are only 3 wires to the tach connection. This is for a FACTORY tach, BTW. For aftermarket, you can just tap into the distributor side of the coil for the ignition signal.
Monday, June 29th, 2009 AT 4:01 PM