1993 Ford Taurus power windows don't work

• 1993 FORD TAURUS

1993 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

I am having an issue with my power windows not working. When I got the car, they all worked and within two weeks slowly each one stopped working without warning. Work one day and next would not. Motors sounded fine before. My power locks still work, but did check fuses even though I knew they would control the locks too, but locks still work and none of the four windows do. My cousin has the same car, so I borrowed the main window switch from him to see if it would work and still does not. I have check the wiring as far as I can and fuses switch, I don't know what else to look for? Is it possible ALL 4 motors went bad in that short of time, or is there something I am missing.

Monday, May 11th, 2009 AT 8:56 PM

If each motor stopped working independently, it would appear that the motors have all gone bad - however unusual that is! BUT. Let us not jump to conclusions.

Start by checking for power at the main switch on the driver door. With the ignition switch in the ACC position, check the heavy wire (should be light blue with a black stripe). You should have battery voltage there. If not, the most common cause would be that the wiring in the harness between the body and driver door is broken. Actually, this would be the more likely cause of the problem. Detach the connector from the body by loosening the bolt on the top of the connector, and disconnect it. Then remove the door trim. And pull the end of the harness back inro rhw door, and out through the access hole in the door body for access. Look for broken wires in this harness. I strongly suspect that you will find your problem there. After all, how likely is it for all four window motors to fail at nearly the same time?

Tuesday, May 12th, 2009 AT 12:50 PM