1993 Ford Taurus Gas tank sensor

ROXIFIED
  • 1993 FORD TAURUS
1993 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Hi,
I have a 1993 Ford Taurus and just recently the fuel reader in my car has been messing up. I filled up my tank 2 days ago and yesterday it said that I had a 1/4 tank above full. Now today when I drove it, it said that I was completely empty. It sat in the garage all night and there is no leak spot on the floor so the only thing I can think of is that it's the sensor in my tank. If you have heard of any problems like this or know how I could fix it would you please let me know. Thanks.
Monday, May 4th, 2009 AT 1:51 PM

JGAROFALO
Some things to check:
The wiring. The connector at the tank is a possible problem spot.
The constant voltage regulator in the instrument cluster is another possible cause.
A loose or disconnected ground wire can also be a problem. There are several under the dash, and one at the gas tank. There is also one under each kick panel on either side of the car.

If everything checks out OK, then it is most likely the gauge sender. This is located inside the gas tank, and requires removal of the tank to service it. It is normally sold as an assembly which includes the gauge sender and fuel pump. Some of the aftermarket places do sell the gauge sender by itself.

Good luck!
Monday, May 4th, 2009 AT 6:32 PM