1992 Ford Taurus [SOLVED]

MENTALKAYSE
  • 1992 FORD TAURUS
Car will only start if throttle is held at about 1/3. Will sputter and die if let idle. Replaced fuel filter, throttle position sensor, distributor and checked the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, map sensor.
Thinking it may be cat. Converter, but want to rule out anything else first. Any suggestions?
Friday, October 31st, 2008 AT 2:12 AM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Have you ran a scan as yet? You don't always get a light up with all codes, also check for a vacuum leak, start here.

Friday, October 31st, 2008 AT 2:37 AM
MENTALKAYSE
I haven't had a scan yet, I'm hoping to borrow one this weekend and run it.
I must have forgot to mention it in the original post but we did check for a vacuum leak. That was probably one of the first things we looked for, after trying to start it with the gas cap off.
Before the car quit running, I was getting a check engine light on occasion, while driving. Now it stays on while the car is running.
I'm trying to get it running again for as cheap as possible. I only plan on keeping the car until I get my income tax return and can get something more reliable.
Thanks.
Friday, October 31st, 2008 AT 4:12 AM
MENTALKAYSE
We ran a diagnostic scan on the car sat morning and it gave an error something to the effect of;
Loss of ignition. Monitor spark from input to output circuit grounded.
We think it might be the ignition module. I bought some dielectric grease and another module from the junkyard that we're gonna try tomorrow, I'll update to let everyone know the results.
The module that was on the car won't fire at all and one that my uncle had will let it run but it's still not running right so it might be something else too. I'm not sure if his is good or not.
Sunday, November 2nd, 2008 AT 1:06 AM
MENTALKAYSE
We had to replace the ignition module, air flow, 1 injector, 2 spark plug wires, throttle position sensor, map sensor, and adjust the timing. It's now running like a brand new car.
Tuesday, November 4th, 2008 AT 1:48 PM