1992 Ford Taurus Power windows rolling down with key out of

JUICE313
  • 1992 FORD TAURUS
Hi I'm having difficulties diagnosing a electrical problem on my 1992 Ford Taurus SHO. My symptoms are power windows rolling down with key off and out of ignition. The unlock and lock on the window switch illuminate all the time. The dash lights only work when I turn the dimmer switch to all the way up(when the rheostat is all the way open). My door chime works when I open the door wether I have the keys in the ignition or not and with the headlights on or not. Please help I think I may have multiple problems here Im just not sure where to start.
Saturday, September 19th, 2009 AT 11:30 AM

JGAROFALO
You are getting power into the IGN/ACC circuit even with the key off and removed. The primary suspect is the ignition switch. If the switch is OK, then there is a wire that may be rubbed through and contacting another wire. You can diagnose by removing the connector from the ignition switch and checking for continuity between the Black wire with light green trace and the GREY wire with the YELLOW trace. If there is continuity, you have a short in the wiring harness. If no continuity, replace the ignition switch.

The dash lights are another issue. That would be a problem with the dimmer rheostat. Replace it.
Sunday, September 20th, 2009 AT 8:49 AM