1992 Ford Taurus blend door actuator

WARRIORWOOD69
  • 1992 FORD TAURUS
Where is the blend door actuator located in this vehicle? I am not working right now and cannot afford to pay a machanic to do this work and I would like to attempt to fix this problem myself
Wednesday, May 12th, 2010 AT 9:34 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
You see that big black box on the passenger side? That has to come out. Along with getting your A/C lines loose, and the heater core lines. That big box has to come out, then you can access the door from the top

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_1_170.jpg

+1
Wednesday, May 12th, 2010 AT 10:28 PM
BLINDMELLOJELLY
If you aren't inclined to pull the dashboard, there is a much quicker if less elegant solution. Step 1: pull the radio, cup holder, and trim piece from the dash that the radio fits into. Step 2: drill a hole in the bottom right and top right edge of the duct behind the radio. Step 3: use a rotary tool or sawzall blade to cut between the two holes. Be careful to not go any deeper than you have to. Step 4: cut across the duct from the holes to create a plastic door. Step 5: when you pull the newly created door open you'll be looking directly into the blender box. If the door is attached to the actuator still you can pull it toward you and it should lock into place for heat, or push it away for cold air. Step 6: when you're done, close your access door and duck tape it shut. Reinstall radio.

This is a quick fix obviously based on the blend door not being broken. Dropping the dash is a huge deal, and as far as I can tell, totally necessary to fix the actuator. This option is better than nothing if you need heat or cold in 30 minutes, for free.
+2
Wednesday, January 7th, 2015 AT 11:51 AM