Timing off on a 99 2.5L Ranger

JOSHUA83CARL
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
I have recently changed the timing belt on my Ranger. The camshaft gear had a diamond and a triangle that lined up, the gear (I believe is an emissions pump) had a triangle that lined up, But the crankshaft gear only had a dot on it and no dots to line up. So I found top-dead-center on a compression stroke and the dot on the crankshaft lined up with a notch. I assume this is correct timing. After puting everything back on the truck started right up. But, it had a very high idle, I drove it down the road and back and put a timing light on it, the timing then kicked down to a low idle but was not the correct idle. The timing light showed the mark on the Harmonic balancer bounce from 30 deg. And up. The truck is supposed to be timed at 10 deg. What could be causing this problem? How can I fix it if the truck doenst have adjustable timing? Thank You
Tuesday, September 26th, 2006 AT 12:06 PM

NOS
When you set the timing did you disconnect the spout connector before setting the timing : (NOS) 8)
-1
Tuesday, September 26th, 2006 AT 7:19 PM
JOSHUA83CARL
What is the Spout connector? This is my first time hearing anything of that sort.
Wednesday, September 27th, 2006 AT 10:43 AM
NOS
Opps sorry i'll try to explain it should be close to the distribuator it is not more than a 3/4in square plastic looking thing in the wiring harness.I belive it is grey in color pull it out then start the engine set the timing where it is suposed to be then tighten it down and shut it off and plug the spout back in then restart engine.(NOS) 8) PS. If it is not close to the distribuator you'll have to look around for it. It grounds the circuit and the engine light should be on when it is unpluged.
-1
Wednesday, September 27th, 2006 AT 7:12 PM
JOSHUA83CARL
Now the 99 Ranger does not have a distribuator. Will it still have a Spout connector?
Thursday, September 28th, 2006 AT 5:40 PM
NOS
No it will not. I must have misread something you said you were useing timing light so I took it that it did. Computer controls the timing through the camshaft sensor and the crank sensor so if you don't have the gears in right spot it will not fire at the right time (NOS) 8) now all the gears under the cover should be timed uless it is a water pump gear it don't have to be. On some of thoes models they still needed to have a shaft that turns the oil pump and that used to be the distribuator shaft. Noe that have removed the distribuator and left the shaft there and use it to drive the cam sensor or sometimes it is just a short shaft to drive the pump. Now if it does drive the camsensor there is a special tool that has to be placed wher the sensor is to lock the gear in place if this is not done cam timing will be off.(NOS) :roll:
-2
Thursday, September 28th, 2006 AT 6:28 PM