Rear brakes locking up

BEAMAN
  • FORD RANGER

I have a 1998 Ford Ranger 4 wheel drive and I live in Montana. Every time it rains or there is a thaw followed during the night by a hard freeze (like last night), my rear brake drums freeze when I leave the truck with the emergency brake set. I then have to get space heaters and unthaw the brakes before the truck can be moved. Is there something wrong or something that can be done to prevent this from happening all the time during the winter.
Thanks so much.
Bill Beaman :P

Thursday, December 28th, 2006 AT 4:02 PM

JACK42

Cant think of anything that is gonna help. When you park the truck the brakes are hot, the e-brake is applied and they cool creating condensation = ice.
Is there a flat place to park where you dont have to use the brake?

Thursday, December 28th, 2006 AT 5:09 PM
BEAMAN

The freezing of the brakes only occurs when there is excess moisture such as rain or slush and then a hard freeze at night so the moisture must be getting up into the brakes somehow and then freezing. I'll just look for places where I don't have to set the brake at night I guess. Thanks for your help.
Bill :P

Thursday, December 28th, 2006 AT 6:18 PM
HEAVYDUTY

Check for rear brake adjustment problem which may not be letting the brakes contact the drum enough to create enough heat to dry the brakes out

Thursday, December 28th, 2006 AT 8:07 PM
SERVICE WRITER

I have the same truck minus your problem. HAve you had the drums off to take a look inside?

Is the plug for the adjuster in place?

I know the adjuster cables on these are not meant for a long life in WNY anyway.

Thursday, December 28th, 2006 AT 9:14 PM
JSINCA
  • FORD RANGER

I'm stuck and I don't know why.

My ranger is a 1999 3 liter 6 cyl, extended cab, standard transmission with 104,000 miles on it. I live very close to work and don't drive it much.

What happened is I parked it Friday afternoon and it was running and operating great. When I got back in it Sunday night it wouldn't move. The engine runs great and it goes into gear just fine but when I give it gas it just "leans" into the wheels with a squeaky groan as if the wheels themselves don't want to spin. I tried just putting it in neutral and pushing it with no luck there either.

I had this problem once before in Wisconsin in severe cold where my brakes actually froze and I was able to thaw it out by pouring hot water over the back tires. Seems how it's been in the 80's here in San Diego I don't think that's he problem. I have had a bit of trouble shifting into 1st for a while now figuring it was an aging clutch and thought that might be part of the problem. But, like I said the truck does seem to go into gear and I can get it to "lean" forward in 1st and backward in reverse. I checked my emergency brake and it seems to be released but it is a bit warn and normally couldn't hold so tight anyway. Somehow it just seems as though the tires won't spin and all the truck can do is rock as though the tires were stuck against a curb.

I'm stumped. If any body has a guess as to what it could be I'd appreciate your help. I'd just like to get it rolling again so I can get it to a garage without the expense of a tow.

Saturday, December 2nd, 2017 AT 2:48 PM (Merged)
SERVICE WRITER

Get it up on jack stands and try spinning each wheel by hand to narrow down the wheel or wheels that are not moving. That will either begin to answer your question or eliminate the theory.

Once its up and you find a wheel not moving, pull it off and look the see what is happening. If it is the front, pull the caliper off and look. If it is the rear, pull the drum and look and check the brake cable to be sure it isn't seized.

PEPSLNUT
  • FORD RANGERFORD RANGER

2002 ranger 3.0 99,000 mi new front calipers and pads new shoes in rear. Front right nose dives but not all the time when it is warm out car drives right cold front locks up please help

you would not belive this it was rear brakes that was the prob? It cost me almost 300.00 :o

MERLIN2021

When the brake loks up open the bleeder, see if it spins freely, if yes, replace the flex hose. If not replace the caliper, again!

DAVE GRIFFIN
  • 2000 FORD RANGER

Brakes problem
2000 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 71655 miles

I had 4 new tires put om my truck a week ago. Since then, when I apply "extra" pressure on the brakes, the rear brakes lock and the truck slides. It is equipped w/rear wheel anti-lock brakes only. The fronts are standard disk brakes. It is a 4x4. I had no problems until the new tires were put on. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dave

RWAL systems do not compare the speeds of all the tires, they only respond to the rate of deceleration. If by "extra" pressure you mean you press harder after the initial application of the brake pedal, the computer has already been counting the time the brakes have been applied. As long as that seems reasonable, the computer will assume the front wheels have also slowed just as much and no intervention is necessary.

Your new tires will often have a shiny surface that will wear off soon giving them more traction and less tendency to slide under this condition.

You can also look at the left side of the rear axle for a link attached to a height-sensing proportioning valve. Trucks and minivans often use them to achieve a brake system balanced front to rear under varying load conditions. It was real common to have easy rear wheel lockup on Caravans on wet roads that did not exist when the vehicle was new. A simple 15 second procedure the lengthen the link less than 1/8" was all it took to stop this condition. I suspect the change occurred due to settling rear leaf springs over time that mimicked a load in the rear. That would cause the valve to increase rear brake fluid pressure compared to the front.

Based on the age and mileage, I'd look for the height-sensing valve, and hope the tires' traction will increase shortly.

Saturday, December 2nd, 2017 AT 2:49 PM (Merged)
TRAMPOLEAN
  • 2000 FORD RANGER

Left brake locks up when applying pressure after a loud thump. I have replaced caliper, rotor, pads, wheel bearings and lower ball joint. The thump and the break still locks up

Have a pro scan for codes it may be an abs problem.

MAMAMAAL
  • 1998 FORD RANGER

Brakes problem
1998 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 114, 00 miles

When I first drive my truck, after sitting overnight or for a few hours, the brakes tend to lock up for the first few times of touching the pedal. Also tends to do it when it has been raining or damp overnight. Goes away after applying the brakes four or five times. Please help!

Is this happening to the rear brakes? If so, the most likely cause is glazing of the brake shoes and drums. WHat you need to do it this. Remove the tires and drums. Take the drums and have them "LIGHTLY" cut just to take the glaze off. Before replacing them, take sandpaper and sand off the glaze from the brake shoes. That should take care of the problem.

Also, make sure there is no gear lube (from a leaking axle seal) or brake fluid (from a leaking wheel cylender) getting on anything. The leaks can cause this too.

Let me know if you have other questions.

MAMAMAAL

Thanks for the reply. It seems to be only the right front brakes. Only at slow speeds, usually first thing in the morning or if has been raining. Took it back to the shop that fixed them about 7 months ago, and they could not find anything. Tires will actually skid when this happens. Any suggestions. Thanks, Matt

If the brakes release when you take your foot off the pedal, I need you to try something. Many times a glaze will build up between the pads and the rotors. For some reason, when it is damp outside, it gets worse. Normally, it pertains to rear brakes, but I have seen it happen to front too.

Take the brake pads off, sand them with 220 grit sandpaper until they loose their shine and are dull in color. Next, remove the brake rotor and take it to a shop that works on brakes. Tell them you want the minimum cut from them as possible. Your only goal is to eliminate the glaze. Explaine they are not warped.

That should take care of the problem. However, I have to say, it may come back after some miles. Honestly, I think it has someting to do with the cheap parts we get from overseas. Nothing seems to be made here anymore. As a result, we get what we pay for. I would gladly pay double for a brake rotor or drum that was made here in the USA because it would last 5 times longer and not cause any problems.

Regardless, sorry about my rampage. I have two young sons that I would like to see get jobs someday, but I question if there will be any for them.

Let me know if this fixes the problem. Also, if the brake doesn't release properly, let me know before you go to this trouble. I don't know where you live, but around here I could have the rotor cut for around 10 dollars.

DUA1
  • 1999 FORD RANGER

Brakes problem
1999 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 12000 miles

the rear drivers side on the truck is locking up. I just had all the brakes done now I need rear brakes again. The rear wheel will just lock up if you beat on the back side of it it eventually comes free no one can seem to give me any information on this.

RANGERDANGER17

Is it locking up when hit the brakes while driving or is the emergency brake not releasing

CMKEEHN
  • 1999 FORD RANGER

I have a 99 ranger xlt supercab and when you stop it feels like the brakes are locking in and when you start to go it feels like they kick out really hard. I heard something about brake activors and I want to know if this is it or if its something I should get looked at. I have two friends that have the same thing with the same problem and a friend that is looking at one that does the same thing.. I just wanna know if this is bad for the vehicle or if this is just something to do with normal driving system.

SERVICE WRITER

Check your brake fluid level first, if low at all, look at the bottom of the backing plates of the rear brakes and see if there is any wetness. It sounds like the wheel cylinders are leaking and causing the shoes to stick to the drums.

IF they are, plan on shoes, wheel cylinders. May want to replace the hardware. Make sure the adjusters are not frozen. Measure the drum on it as there are 9" and 10", you will be asked when buying the parts.