PINGING NOISE

Ford Ranger

shiningstar

December, 25, 2006 AT 11:03 PM

I have a 99 ranger, it pings most of the time especially when warmed up. V-6 3.0 I run premium it helps a bit. Whats the problem??

4.2 Pinging

Jack42

December, 26, 2006 AT 9:52 AM

Since that vehicle doesnt have an octane shorting bar, I would guess mixture control problem or EGR problem. Either way its probably running lean when warmed up.A new fuel filter and tune up is a basic place to start, but it might require in-depth diagnosis. Could be the fuel pump, coolant sensor, Mass Airflow Maeter, etc

Service Writer

December, 26, 2006 AT 7:13 PM

For what it matters. Ford has a revised MAF sensor or EGR valve for the pinging problem-I don't recall which. They also have an updated computer for the pinging. However, A Ford source tells me that it doesn't always work?

TaurusWheel

December, 31, 2006 AT 5:09 PM

I had an issue with my 94 Taurus pinging, all systems checked out, comp was healthy 160 across all cylinders, what I ended up doing was dumping a couple of cans of GM Top Cleaner into the upper end through the vacuum lines and let it sit for an hour, fired it up smoked like an sob for a while, poof ping is gone. I'm thinking possible dirty intake valves. Ford Dealer also told me that ping is an issue, not always solvable, but this solution worked for me. I think Ford makes some type of intake cleaner also.

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota
Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe 2015
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevy Silverado
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mini Cooper
Engine Oil Change and Filter GMC Sierra