Loss in compression

DUSTIN2551
  • FORD RANGER
I have a 1984 2.0 liter Ford Ranger with 135,000 miles. When I go up hills in 4th gear it drastically slows down till I get to the top. If I keep it in 3rd I can make it up just fine. Plus i'm getting horrible gas mileage right now its around 13 miles per gallon. I've replaced the plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, air filter, distributor cap, distributor rotor, and fixed all of my vacuum lines (some weren't even connected). I have also ran sea foam through the fuel system. Do I need a new carburetor?
Wednesday, May 30th, 2007 AT 11:26 PM

RUDPRO
I noticed your other post about the oil spraying all over the engine. I would do a compression test. You should have 101psi minimum for that engine.
Thursday, May 31st, 2007 AT 12:23 AM
DUSTIN2551
What should I do if it isn't that psi?
Thursday, May 31st, 2007 AT 2:51 PM
RUDPRO
That would mean you need a valve job, lifters and maybe a new camshaft. Upper engine rebuild.
Thursday, May 31st, 2007 AT 3:10 PM
RUDPRO
Sorry, left some items out. It could be just the head gaskets. It could also be the piston rings and/or the pistons, cylinder walls.
Thursday, May 31st, 2007 AT 3:16 PM