Ignition wiring

DAVE SICKLER
  • FORD RANGER
I have a 1989 ford ranger which had a 2.9 in it. I put a 3.0 from a 1991 ranger in it. For some reason it will not crank with the key or fire jumping across the terminals of the relay. Engine will run if you hot wire the coil. What part of the harness is different that I am missing?
Monday, December 18th, 2006 AT 8:06 PM

CARUNDELL
Hey dave,
I'm assuming the coil is the one from the 2.9. But either way I guess it does not matter. I would trace the hot wire back thru the harness, checking for battery voltage at different intervals as it sounds like there may be a connectivity issue/or break in the wiring. Do you have a schematic? Let us know

Chris
Tuesday, December 19th, 2006 AT 4:32 AM
DAVE SICKLER
I have a Haynes repair manual with a diagram in it but am having a hard time finding where all the connections relate on the engine. There seems to be a problem with the neutral switch not being connected but is it in the column or the tranny?
Tuesday, December 19th, 2006 AT 5:29 AM
CARUNDELL
The NSS should be integral with the PRNDL switch on the tranny if an automatic.

Chris
Tuesday, December 19th, 2006 AT 6:11 AM
JACK42
Did you swap the wiring harness too? ECM? The NSS on overdrive ford tranny's also acts as a throttle sensing switch to control shift points. Its very important
Tuesday, December 19th, 2006 AT 7:35 AM
DAVE SICKLER
Yes I swapped the ignition side or the harness as well a the computer
Dave
Tuesday, December 19th, 2006 AT 6:34 PM