Heater Still not working - Extensive Diagnosis.

DPFREAK
  • FORD RANGER
Hello, I am not new to car repair but this one has got me stumped!

93 Ford Ranger, 2.3L 2wd, Factory AC, 136,000 miles (one owner) (The wheels have fallen off once)

This winter, the heater decided it was not going to work, so I decided to look into it.

Flushed and cleaned the cooling system, yeah it was dirty. Tookout the heater core (suprised it was all aluminum) and flushed it; I get a good flow through it off the garden hose.
Flushed lines and the radiator (darn drain is plugged up, oh well)
Replaced the T-stat (195 Degree, need that down here in the south, and that was a pain. I had to take the Alternator mount off to get to the upper left bolt on the t-stat housing, turned a 15min job into a two hour job), the Damper door works, the fan works all speeds, (AC still cold after 13 years and nothing has ever had to be done to it - knock on wood)
After letting the truck run for about 10 mins, the system does pressure up, and the radiator hoses get real hot. The temp gauge comes up to the bottom of the normal scale, (temp sensor is about 6 inches away from the engine in the heater feed hose), the Heater feed hose does get hot, but it takes a while for it to get hot all the way to the fire wall.
The very top of the heater core gets warm, but never hot, and the return hose does not get hot at all.

Again, remember, I have already flushed the heater core, I even filled it with water to make sure I did not have an air lock. The system is topped of with AF.

So, I am at a loss. All apears to be working well, but it isn't.
Could the wate pump be worn out? (That's a paiin to change)

Help. Anybody else experince a problem like this?
Saturday, January 27th, 2007 AT 8:08 PM

TAURUSWHEEL
It's possible the blades on your pump could be worn down to zilch, there have been some issues with this on various cars, in fact my next door neighbor has a Jeep Cherokee, fan blades were completely gone, amazing.
Saturday, January 27th, 2007 AT 8:29 PM
The Heater feed hose does get hot, but it takes a while for it to get hot all the way to the fire wall.

The above is telling you something-for me am already confused but disconnect the upper hose and check for adequate flow-don't like it-replace it. Hmm! Double check the Rad for a partial clog

BTW don't always trust a new Stat-BTDT.

HTH-Good Luck!
Saturday, January 27th, 2007 AT 11:30 PM
DPFREAK
The impeller on the water pump was gone, non-existant. It got warmer outside and I noticed that after while the power dropped out and nothing I could do would stop the valves from rattling.
Then I stopped the truck and could hear the water boiling in the block, not good.

I took the pump off and was shocked, there was no impeller, just a little stub.

So it is fixed now, heats great too.

Sunday, April 1st, 2007 AT 1:13 PM