Heater Problems

LTLONE95521
  • FORD RANGER
I have a 1997 Ford Ranger XLT and when I turn on my heater it smells like burnt hose. It also smokes up my cab when I turn it on. I do not have A/C. It didn't do this a week ago. When I have it on cold there is no smoke, only when I put it on warm or hot. I have a Chilton Manual for it, but what would be a cheap easy way for me to fix it? I am a female, but have no problem working on my truck and getting my hands dirty. It is also making a film on my windshield inside and leaking some dark fluid on my floorboard. Please help.

Thanks,
Annie
Monday, October 15th, 2007 AT 3:09 AM

BOOTDOG
Your heater core is leaking coolant. Let me find out whether or not the dash has to be pulled to replace it and i'll get back to ya.
Monday, October 15th, 2007 AT 5:10 PM
BOOTDOG
These instructions came from a ford website, I hope this helps. Remember these instructions are for a ranger and aerostar of the same year you have. Good luck

Section 12-03D: Air Conditioning and Heating System, Auxiliary

1997 Aerostar/Ranger Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

Procedure revision date: 05/17/2000
Heater and/or Evaporator Core
SPECIAL SERVICE TOOL(S) REQUIRED Description Tool Number
Heater Hose Disconnect Tool T85T-18539-AH

Auxiliary Heater Core and Seal Assembly

Removal

1.

Remove the first seat behind the driver, if so equipped.

2.

Remove the auxiliary heater and/or air conditioner service cover attaching screws, and remove the cover.

3.

Drain the cooling system following the recommended procedures. Observe all safety precautions. Refer to Section 03-03.

4.

Remove rear seat airflow duct (18C420) by removing one or two attaching screws, as required, and rotating the rear seat airflow duct gently downward.

5.

Remove remaining sixteen screws from cover and remove cover from case.

6.

Disconnect the heater water hoses (18472) at the quick disconnection under the vehicle and plug the disconnects with suitable 5/8-inch plugs.

7.

Slide the heater core (18476) and heater core case seal (18658) out of the housing slot and pull it up through the floor.

8.

Remove the heater water hoses from the heater core (two clamps).

Auxiliary Heater Core Installation

Item Part Number Description
1 19860 A/C Evaporator Core
2 18D283 Auxiliary Heater and A/C Assembly
3 97242-S8 Clamps (2 Req'd)
4 18B425 Heater Core Tube Insulators
5 18658 Heater Core Case Seal
6 18476 Heater Core

Installation

1.

Install the heater water hoses on the heater core (two clamps).

2.

Slide the heater core and heater core case seal into the housing slot, guiding the heater water hoses through the floor.

3.

Connect the quick disconnects under the vehicle.

4.

Fill the cooling system to specification and check for coolant leaks. Refer to Section 03-03.

5.

Install the auxiliary heater and/or air conditioner cover.

6.

Install the rear seat airflow duct.

7.

Install the service cover and passenger seat as outlined.

Auxiliary A/C Evaporator Core

Removal

1.

Remove the first seat behind driver, if so equipped. Refer to Section 01-10.

2.

Remove the auxiliary heater and/or air conditioner service cover attaching screws and remove the cover.

3.

Discharge the refrigerant system following the recommended service procedures. Observe all safety precautions. Refer to Section 12-00.

4.

Remove rear seat airflow duct.

5.

Disconnect the evaporator to compressor suction line (19867) from the A/C evaporator core (19860) and plug.

6.

Using 5/16-inch nut runner, disconnect solenoid bracket from case.

7.

Using backup wrenches, disconnect the evaporator core from the solenoid valve.

8.

Remove auxiliary case cover screws and cover.

9.

Remove connector from heater blower motor switch resistor (18591).

10.

Remove A/C evaporator core.

Installation

1.

Install A/C evaporator core seal (19A672) to tube end of A/C evaporator core.

2.

Install new O-ring lubricated with clean refrigerant oil to inlet line and to condenser to evaporator tube O-ring fitting.

3.

Carefully place A/C evaporator core in case and align inlet tube with solenoid. Tighten connections to 21-27 Nm (15-20 lb-ft) using backup wrench to prevent damage.

4.

Install solenoid bracket to case assembly.

5.

Install new O-ring on underbody suction line and lubricate with clean refrigerant oil. Connect to A/C evaporator core making sure to hear the click of the spring trapping the line.

6.

Wrap evaporator to compressor suction line with insulating tape.

7.

Reconnect connector to heater blower motor switch resistor.

8.

Install case cover.

9.

Install rear seat airflow duct.

10.

Leak test, evacuate, and charge the refrigerant system following the recommended service procedures. Observe all safety precautions. Refer to Section 12-00.

11.

Install service cover and passenger seat as outlined.

Evaporator Core Installation
Monday, October 15th, 2007 AT 5:23 PM