97 Ranger oil pressure gage drops engine dies

CURRUPTER916
  • 1997 FORD RANGER
I have a 1997 Ford ranger with the 2.3l 4 cylinder engine. I have about 165,000 miles and while I was driving the oil gage wich had been fluttering for about a week now droped down to nothing and the engine shut down and it won't restart. Now I herd the oil pressure gages on that year are dummy lights hooked up to sensors and don't actually show true oil pressure. I was told it was probably my oil pressure sending unit, relay, or regulator. Now I'm no mechanic and not sure and while looking those parts up I could only find out about the oil pressure switch. What could really be the problem and what is the best way to start figuring it out? I'm not sure how to get pressure test done with out towing into a shop, I went ahead and replaced the switch and still nothing
Saturday, July 21st, 2007 AT 3:31 PM

CHEVYII
MORE THAN LIKELY ITS THE OIL PRESSURE SWITCH, BUT WITH THE MILES YOU HAVE ON THE ENGINE YOU MAY WANT TO HAVE SOMEONE DO A MANUAL PRESSURE TEST ON IT BEFORE REPLACING ANYTHING,

JIM
Sunday, July 22nd, 2007 AT 7:52 AM

Sponsored links