4X4 turned on but front wheels not engaging

STEVENBCU
  • FORD RANGER
1999 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 off-road 4.0L
When I engage the 4x4 through the electronic switch the electric motor on the transfer case DOES engage the 4H and 4L, I know the electric selinoid is working, however I do not get any power to the front wheels. I notice a metal on metal scraping noise coming from under the vehicle, I can't tell if its coming from the transfer case or the front end of the vehicle. I used the 4x4 all winter and at some point it stopped working, I am not just sure when. All I know is that I have no power being tansfered to the front end and I have a scrapping noise. I had a vaccum leak repaired a few years back and I haven't had that kind of problem since.
Please provide suggestions.
Thursday, March 22nd, 2007 AT 11:55 AM

MERLIN2021
Check the U-Joint. If it's good you need to look inside the pumpkin! Or pull the wheels off and check the cheap plastic stuff at the wheels!
Thursday, March 22nd, 2007 AT 2:06 PM
STEVENBCU
"Check the U-Joint. If it's good you need to look inside the pumpkin! Or pull the wheels off and check the cheap plastic stuff at the wheels!" - Merlin2021

No offense Merlin, but if were a U-Joint wouldn't I hear metal scraping all the time? I only here metal on metal when I turn the 4H or 4L on. I can be driving in 2H perfectly with no noise or scraping sound and then switch to 4H(shift on the fly). Then I get no power to the front wheels and the scraping noise starts. Then I switch back to 2H(shift on the fly again) and the scraping noise stops and throughout the whole time I got no front end power.

I hope that this clearifies my situation a little better.

Thursday, March 22nd, 2007 AT 2:25 PM
MERLIN2021
Well if you read your post I could't tell. Did you look?
Thursday, March 22nd, 2007 AT 2:29 PM
STEVENBCU
I'm sorry I haven't looked into the guts of it yet.
I was just trying to get an opinion on if someone thinks that it could be gummed up hubs or if the front drive axel could be broken some how, or other ideas. I will be looking into it this weekend.
I try to fix these things myself, but there is only so much you can get from a book or read off forums, so I thought that I should ask.
Thursday, March 22nd, 2007 AT 2:39 PM
MERLIN2021
Look Steve if ANYTHING at the wheels is broken BOTH sides stop engaging! Try draining some oil out and check for metal.
Thursday, March 22nd, 2007 AT 2:44 PM
STEVENBCU
I don't mean to sound stupid, but this is going to sound stupid.
Drain oil from where? Oil pan? Transfer case? I am kind of confused on your suggestion.
Sorry

thanks for your help
Thursday, March 22nd, 2007 AT 2:48 PM
MERLIN2021
Drain some of the oil from the front axle at the fill plug!
Thursday, March 22nd, 2007 AT 2:49 PM
M_H_RITZEL
In the somewhere in the middle of the front axle there is what looks like a plug with a square hole, this can be taken out with a 1/2 inch racket, once you get the plug out get a smple of the fluid, don't need to much, put it between your fingers and rub them together if it feel gritty or you see metal filings then it could be the pumpkin like merlin 2021 mentioned
Thursday, March 22nd, 2007 AT 6:19 PM