2003 Ford Ranger leak at slave

• 1 POST
  • 2003 FORD RANGER

2003 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 83000 miles

Driving about a month ago and clutch starts getting mushy and not disengaging fully. Checked at home, I've got a leak at the steel flange that connects to the slave inside the transmission bell housing. I know this because I took off the rubber grommet and shined a flashlight through the inspection port and can see that it's loose and is leaking there.(Not at the disconnect)
I've been nursing it along about a month, but now it's not really drivable and won't go in or out of gear easily. Yes, you're right. I shouldn't have driven it.
What do I need to replace for a quick and dirty fix? The slave is probably O.K, but since the steel flange, or connection bushing or whatever you call it is loose, does it mean that I have to replace the slave and the connection hose and quick disconnect all the way to the master? Should I replace the master too? How much, ballpark? Should I use genuine ford parts or 10000 auto parts generic O.K.

Friday, December 4th, 2009 AT 11:03 PM

• 240 POSTS

I would replace the slave and the steel flange you see moving is the throw out bearing that sits against slave.

Tuesday, December 8th, 2009 AT 1:46 AM