2002 Ford Ranger Altonator problem

• 1 POST
  • 2002 FORD RANGER

2002 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 650000 miles

Hello I changed the Battery this morning in my Ford Ranger. The old one was OK bud I had a new one still in Stock so I changed the Battery. I made the stupid mistake to connect the postiv kabel to the negativ pole and the negativ to the postiv. Within a second I realised I made a mistake because of the sparks. The cable was connected for max. 2 seconds. After that I put the cables as it should be, I could start the Car with nor Problems. I only noticed the red battery light was burning also I have seen that the battery was not charged. Because Battery voltage was arround 12 V and not 14 as normal. Furhermore the Radio was dead, changed the fuse after that it was ok. 4x4 switch didnt work, changed the fuse and OK. I checked all the fuses, including the fuses under the hood, OK. But the battery is still not charging. Can you help?

Thanks Denny

Saturday, March 20th, 2010 AT 7:25 AM

Is the voltage regulator bolted to the back of the alternator? If so, measure the voltages on the yellow wire and the green / red wire when the ignition switch in the "run" position, when the engine is running and when it is stopped. Might as well measure the fat output wire too. It should have battery voltage all the time.

Saturday, March 20th, 2010 AT 2:39 PM