2001 Ford Ranger Need Clutch Help ASAP!

ALFREDCOBB
  • 2001 FORD RANGER
Been a long time since I've even been on this web-site, but don't have your phone number since my last phone was destroyed at a rodeo. Man I've got a clutch issue that I'm having trouble with and am in some serious need of some expertise. I was wondering if you or any of your tech buddies might have some insight.

I replaced clutch, clutch master cyl, and clutch slave cyl only 40,000 miles ago.

I have absolutely no friction at the clutch.
I can shift through every gear including reverse with the clutch out.

Was driving 55 MPH approaching a turn.
Attempted to shift into 2nd at 55 mph while holding clutch in and decelerating.
Safety feature would not allow me to shift into 2nd at 55 mph.
The shift lever kinda 'bit' a little bit when I tried to shift into 2nd.
I slowed down, took the turn, shifted into 2nd and got nothing.
No power to clutch at all & left me stranded way out in the country.

There are no evident leaks in the system & the fluid reservoir has been kept full.
I pulled the Trans yesterday thinking that it would be the pressure plate.
There was an excessive amount of clutch disc material being forced out every orifice of the trans.
I assumed the clutch disc would be completely disintegrated but there is 3/16" of clutch disc left.
Pressure plate looked okay, no excessive wear on the fingers, except one finger had a tiny split at the very end of the finger (probably from removal of Trans.)
The flywheel looks to be in very good condition.

With the amount of clutch disc material I found I know I'll have to replace the clutch and pressure plate, but I'm unsure if there's an underlying problem. I've never had a clutch just quit, with no previous signs of failure and no leaks. PLEASE HELP.

Thanks,
-A.C.
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 8:16 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi alfredcobb,

After replacement of the clutch and other components, was pedal height high or low when clutch engagement was felt?

Did you check the pedal to master cylinder clearance?

From the symptoms, there is a possibility there was insufficient clutch pedal clearance. As fluid are not able to return, heat builds up in the hydraulic system and when this occurs, the clutch self applies.
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 11:42 AM