Dash lights not working

RANGER78
  • 2001 FORD RANGER

2001 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 90,000 miles

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger Edge with a 3.0L engine. The lights on my instrument panel went out this week along with the lights for my heating and A/C unit. The fog lights and parking lights are also out the headlights, brake and turn signal lights all continue to work. No fuses are blown and I replaced and checked all the lights in my instrument cluster to no avail. Whats wrong with my lights?

Wednesday, June 3rd, 2009 AT 10:07 PM

RACEFAN966

Ok first I need you to check fuse number 11 it is a 7.5 amp, it is in the central fuse box behind the left (drivers) side of dash. If this fuse is good then I need to know if you have a digital multi meter so we can look at the instrument cluster dimmer and dimming module, this on the top left side of dash. If you have meter I need you to check the brown wire going to it. With the lights on does this wire have voltage? Also the ground for the instrument cluster is below the left front seat make sure it is good and secure. Get back to me and we will take it from there.

Thursday, June 4th, 2009 AT 10:33 AM
RANGER78

Ive already checked that fuse and it seemed to be fine I'm going to check that brown wire and the ground and I'll get back to you. Thanks

Thursday, June 4th, 2009 AT 10:52 AM
RACEFAN966

Ok great let me know what you find and we will go from there.

Friday, June 5th, 2009 AT 9:17 AM
RANGER78

So it turns out that it was the headlight switch. There must have been some sort of short part of the switch had melted. I replaced the switch and everything is working again the only thing is that there is a little green light on the swith that is always on now (while the truck is running). I'm not sure if thats the way it's supposed to be?

Monday, June 8th, 2009 AT 4:59 PM
RACEFAN966

Ok nothing say's what the green light is for so I will do some more searching. I do have a couple of questions however. Does your truck have fog lights? Do you have DRL (day time running lights)? Get back to me on that in the mean time I will look for why that light is on.

Tuesday, June 9th, 2009 AT 9:31 AM
RANGER78

My truck does have fog lights but no DRLs. The green light is actually an LED attached to the switch assembly itself. It is used to light up little symbols on the instrument panel that indicate wether I have no lights parking lights or my headlights on.

Tuesday, June 9th, 2009 AT 11:28 AM
RACEFAN966

It looks like the gem module might be telling it to come on as this controls all the lighting. Is the led on all the time or just when the key is on?

Wednesday, June 10th, 2009 AT 9:24 AM
RANGER78

Only when the key is on.

Wednesday, June 10th, 2009 AT 10:55 AM
RACEFAN966

So what symbol does it light up? I am looking over the wiring diagram for you lights and I don't find it. Let me know what the symbol is or include a pic. It don't look like the gem module could do that. So get back to me and we will take it from there. There is an orange wire with a black stripe that comes off your headlight switch does this have power all the time? I am not giving up so hang in there with me.

Thursday, June 11th, 2009 AT 10:06 AM
RANGER78

I'm uploading a pic of my light switch you can see the switch and the dimmer on the right. I've also noticed that if turn the dimmer switch all the way down so that the instrument panel is completly dark the fog lights magically come on I know that is not supposed to happen

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/355819_06151846_2.jpg

....

Monday, June 15th, 2009 AT 8:57 PM
RACEFAN966

Ok it may be that the dimmer switch module may be not working right so lets do a test to see what is happening. Check to see if the light green wire with the orange stripe has power to it. Then when you turn on the interior lights with the dimmer switch does it give power to the black wire with the pink stripe? Let me know that goes if this tests good then it on to the Gem module to see what it is doing as this does control all the lighting in some way.

Tuesday, June 16th, 2009 AT 9:59 AM
RANGER78

Okay I'll test those wires and I forgot to mention that I noticed that if my truck is off and I turn the lights on then adjust the dimmer switch the switch makes a humming noise. It only does this when the truck is off.

Tuesday, June 16th, 2009 AT 11:26 AM
RACEFAN966

Thats strange I will see if I can find anything on the humming. Get back to me when you can on testing the power to it and such and we will take it from there.

Wednesday, June 17th, 2009 AT 9:31 AM
FROGGY0423

Hello I am having having basically this same issue. 2001 Ford Ranger Edge V6 3.0L. Several months ago the instrument cluster lights were functioning and then would turn off. They would turn back on if you would give the dash a nice slap. Now nothing. I have replaced all 194 bulbs in cluster (which the old ones still looked like the filaments were good). Still nothing. The lights on the ac/heater also do not work as well as the lights on steering wheel for the cruise control. (Cruise control buttons are beat up but the cruise control still functions). I have checked the ground underneath drivers seat and is in good contact. Just checked the voltage from from fuse 11. Fuse is good. Voltage reading when head light switch was turned on was roughly 11.43. Just trying to figure out what should be my next step before throwing parts at it. Any comments are welcomed! Thanks in advance! -Marcos

Saturday, November 11th, 2017 AT 12:02 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Hi Marcos,

The starter of the thread says it was the headlight switch that was bad in his case. To make sure this is the same problem for your car here is a guide and a wiring diagram.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Just check where you lose power with the headlight switch on

Here are the headlight and instrument cluster wiring diagrams (below)

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

Monday, November 13th, 2017 AT 5:06 PM
BIKER636
  • 2001 FORD RANGER

Interior problem
2001 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 199000 miles

How can I replace the dashboard lights? I can't find a way to get to them.

Tuesday, November 14th, 2017 AT 9:39 AM (Merged)
IMPALASS

Hello -

I believe this is what you are looking for. You will have to remove the dash cluster to remove and replace the bulbs.

ILLUMINATION & INDICATOR BULBS
Removal & Installation
Remove instrument cluster. See INSTRUMENT CLUSTER. Remove instrument panel illumination or indicator bulb by turning socket and bulb counterclockwise. To install, reverse removal procedure.
PRINTED CIRCUIT
Removal & Installation
1. Remove instrument cluster. See INSTRUMENT CLUSTER. Remove instrument cluster gauge amplifier. See INSTRUMENT CLUSTER GAUGE AMPLIFIER.
2. Remove all instrument panel illumination and indicator bulbs by turning each bulb counterclockwise. Remove gauges. See GAUGES.
3. Remove 19 instrument gauge harness connector clips using long-nose pliers. Squeeze both sides of clip equally so locking ears pass through opening in instrument cluster case. Be careful not to overbend or distort clips. DO NOT reuse instrument gauge clips.
4. Ease instrument cluster printed circuit up and off locating pins and remove from case. To install, reverse removal procedure using NEW instrument gauge clips.

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
CAUTION: Instrument cluster light bulbs are pressurized and may shatter if improperly handled. Wear eye protection when replacing instrument cluster light bulbs.
Removal & Installation
1. Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove 2 screws from center instrument panel finish panel and pull out center instrument panel finish panel. Remove radio. Disconnect electrical harness connectors. Remove hood latch release handle and cable from instrument panel steering column cover.
2. Remove 2 screws and instrument panel steering column cover. Remove 4 screws and instrument panel steering column opening cover reinforcement. Position column gear shift lever aside (if equipped). Remove 3 screws and pull out cluster finish panel. Disconnect electrical harness connectors and remove cluster finish panel.
3. Remove 4 instrument cluster screws. Pull out instrument cluster and remove transmission range indicator (if equipped with automatic transmission). Disconnect electrical harness connectors and remove instrument cluster. To install, reverse removal procedure.

GAUGES
CAUTION: If gauges are being removed from cluster assembly, DO NOT remove gauge pointer. Magnetic gauges cannot be recalibrated.
NOTE: Fuel gauge and instrument cluster gauge amplifier are calibrated together and cannot be serviced separately.
Removal & Installation
Remove instrument cluster. See INSTRUMENT CLUSTER. Remove instrument cluster gauge amplifier from back of instrument cluster. Remove 7 screws, instrument cluster lens and mask assembly from instrument cluster. Remove appropriate instrument gauge clips. DO NOT reuse instrument gauge clips. Outside gauge assemblies must be removed before center gauge assembly. Gently remove desired gauge block by grasping outside edges of gauge and lifting. To install, reverse removal procedure using NEW instrument gauge clips.

YELLOW2001
  • 2001 FORD RANGER

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger Edge and none of the dash lights work. Cigarette lighter or horn. Checked all the fuses and still nothing.

DRCRANKNWRENCH

I am providing you with the wiring diagram for the instrument cluster. Start by cheking the grounds for corrosion or a loose fit. Repair if neccasay and then check for loose wires.

TOM_104
  • 2001 FORD RANGER

2001 Ford Ranger

I have a problem with my rear turning signal light. It seems to only work in park. When I put the signal on in drive or revers it blinks twice as fast as it should in the front light and on the dash too, but the rear light just does not blink at all. I've replaced the bulb once already and it worked for about one day then it started doing it again. Does anyone know what the problem is, and what I can do to fix it?

Tom

Tuesday, November 14th, 2017 AT 9:40 AM (Merged)