2000 FORD RANGER WATER PUMP-

• ibizarro
  • 2000 Ford Ranger

2000 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 112k miles

I am in the process of replacing the water pump in my 3.0L Ford Ranger, and I'm having a problem getting the pulley off. It says in the Haynes manual to brace against to of opposite bolts on the pulley hub and hold the pulley in place (with the belt still on) while turning the fan clutch nut counter clockwise. I can't get any leverage on the bolts or get anything to hold onto the pulley nuts to keep the pulley secured while I do this. The pulley is of a concave design, hiding the nuts away from sight also. Making another observation obvious to me- " Fords are a pain in the butt". Any ideas or procedures I should doing differently?

Friday, March 20th, 2009 AT 3:25 PM

• merlin2021

Try push down on the belt for extra tension, or use a deep sochet and hold the smaller bolt.

Friday, March 20th, 2009 AT 3:32 PM
  • Dave H

Removal (Ranger)
Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove air cleaner duct. Drain cooling system. Using Fan Clutch Holder (T96T-6312-B) and Fan Clutch Wrench (T96T-6312-A), remove nut retaining clutch fan to pulley. Remove fan shroud and cooling fan as an assembly.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_tool_6.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_319.png

Friday, March 20th, 2009 AT 3:39 PM
  • ibizarro

[quote="Dave H"]Removal (Ranger)

Thanks but I've already been down that route and tried that, I've been all over my Haynes manual and the internet trying to figure out how to get around this. None of the specialty tools work with the pulley and applying more tension to the belt does nothing either. It still slips.

Friday, March 20th, 2009 AT 4:04 PM
  • 98rangerxlt

Its a 3.0 so it should be left hand threaad but im not sure.

Friday, March 20th, 2009 AT 10:57 PM
  • ibizarro

Yeah, it's a 3.0 efi. Should have left handed threads. Anyone suggest just removing the water pump with fan clutch and pulley still in tact?

Sunday, March 22nd, 2009 AT 12:51 PM
  • Schrimpieman

Removing the large nut to remove the fan blade is mandatory; you'll never get to those " hidden" bolts securing the water pump to the engine block because they are blocked by the pulley.

Left-hand or Right-hand? Solution: Just observe or imagine the fan spinning in it's natural motion. Stop the engine. You need to impact drive the large nut in the SAME direction as the natural spinning motion of the fan. Spray some penetrating oil to help in loosening the threads. You'll need an impact force to loosen the initial tension of the large nut. Put a large crescent wrench or the special tool and smack it with a hammer (careful not to ruin anything else around it). That's the only way, and increase tension on the belt as suggested by tugging on the tensioner.

Impact will likely be your only solution to break the nut free. And lot's of patience.

Monday, March 23rd, 2009 AT 8:48 PM