2000 Ford Ranger Odd over heating issue

ZACMAN44
  • 2000 FORD RANGER
Returning from trip - after about 200 miles the engine started to heat up. Before that all fine and had AC on. I pulled over and put the heater on full blast to draw heat. Instead of heat coming in to the car the air was still cold as if the AC was on. So-I could not run the heater to pull heat off engine - seemed to be doing the opposite. Then smoke smell from heater-AC vents so turned car off and then lots of smoke/steam from under hood. Had it towed to a nearby repair shop. I told them it might be a thermostat as getting cold air when heater on was odd. There was a clicking sound - periodic - before the problem appeared. Thus, I thought maybe a water pump. Shop called and I am being told there was a big leak in radiator which needs to be replaced ($660) and they will then check on the block and other things that could also be wrong.
I am OK with that as I have a lot of miles on it, but it sounds odd where the problem was not gradual - and also concerned because they told me oil also needed changing because it was very dirty but I had just changed it two weeks before. I guess that triggered a degree of distrust but who knows. Any ideas? Thanks. - Oh, also had the fan clutch assembly replaced about two months ago.
Tuesday, September 8th, 2009 AT 5:03 PM

The radiator can do that; however, the oil wouldn't have gotten dirty as a result. Did they maybe find a creamy substance in the oil that would indicate a bad head gasket?

As far as the heat not working, if there wasn't enough coolant in the engine, it won't produce heat.

What I recommend is if you can, replace the radiator yourself. You should be able to get one for under 200 dollars. I feel 400 in labor is nuts.
Tuesday, September 8th, 2009 AT 7:02 PM
ZACMAN44
Thanks. I checked back with them and the cost of just over $600 included the towing of $80 - though that is disputed as I was quoted $40 - and cost to check it all out (cooling system) and for new thermostat as well.
I will go ahead with it as car is at a shop now and about 50+ miles from where I live and not practical to put it in myself.
They mentioned some possible leakage by the water pump and given that I have 176,000 miles with no work yet on that I think I will have them replace that now to avoid problems.
Re the oil - he just said it looked dirty - but I have been told that before when it was clean -
Do I have to do anything now so that the donation reaches you?
Tuesday, September 8th, 2009 AT 9:01 PM
You don't need to do anything. As far as the oil, wait until you can check it.
Tuesday, September 8th, 2009 AT 9:25 PM
You don't need to do anything. As far as the oil, wait until you can check it. If there is coolant near the water pump, it most likely bad too if it is the original one.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Tuesday, September 8th, 2009 AT 9:26 PM