CLUTCH TRANSFER ISSUES

2000 Ford Ranger

drew007

November, 14, 2006 AT 3:45 PM

I have 2000 Ford ranger with 98k mileage on it. It recently swapped out the engine because the crank had actually cracked in the back half of the block. It was clean crack that had to have been a manufacturing defect. Either way, the new used engine went in smoothly and the transmission was placed back on smoothly which happens to be manual transmission but however I have had a lot of problems with the clutch engaging into first and reverse from stand still which would at first lead me to think there were problems with the flywheel. We dropped the transmission again and then measured and inspected the flywheel. The measurement came out ok. We also replaced the slave cylinder because it was leaky and we replaced the master cylindar just because. We put the transmission back on and we were still not getting the distance we needed so we flushed the lines again and were still having problems. We were missing over.38 in distance for engagement and you still had to jam the clutch all the way down to the floor to get it into first. We took the transmission of again and I checked the pressure plate because I thought it might have been shocked when the crank cracked in half. Sure enough it did. We went ahead and replaced the presure plate which made a big difference, but we were still missing a little less than a quarter of an inch in distance. I went ahead and twisted the actuater on the clutch pedal out of the master cylinder which gave me that quarter of an inch, but this does not seem to be a valid fix. It works though and shifts well. What could possilby be wrong with that missing distance in the clutch essembly? It has a new slave and master cylinder, new pressure plate and a fairly new clutch with only about 10k mileage on it. The slave cylinder and clutch are both lux parts and everything else is factory.

Clutch Problems

Clutch Help!

catch_15

November, 14, 2006 AT 6:45 PM

When you put the new engine in you probably should have bought a new clutch kit with the disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, as well as pilot bearing. Also, the flywheel probably should have been machined before the transmission went in.

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions