1999 Ford Ranger Wont Start

MIRANDA_1992
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
I have a 99 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 with 220800 plus miles on it, I was driving one night, then the next morning when I tried to start it, it would not start. It will turn over and try to start but wont. When I went into my uncles auto shop, they replaced one spark plug because my Ranger was shaking and wobbling, they told me then and there that all 6 had to be replaced. So now I am wondering if that is the reason why my Ranger will not start? Some of my friends that work on vehicles all the time think it might be my fuel pump. But I just want to see if my Ranger wont start because of the spark plugs first before I go out and buy a fuel pump for 99 dollars or more.
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 5:24 PM

WRENCHTECH
All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 5:29 PM