WONT START

1999 Ford Ranger

jweazzill24

July, 7, 2010 AT 1:11 PM

1999 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic < 80000 miles

Yesterday morning I jump in, head to work. Everything is running fine. At lunch I go out to drive around and it won’t start. It turns over so battery must be good. All the electrical in the cab works fine. I can hear the fuel pump “whir" as I turn the key to the on position. It turns over but wont fire. So I leave it over night. This morning I get to work, first thing I jump it and it fires right up. No issues or complaints, just turns on like there was never an problem. I even drive it around for about a mile, come back to work and park it. So then, I go out at lunch today and again, it won’t start. What is going on with my truck? One buddy suggested " Vapor Locking" but I dont think that is the case as my truck has fuel injection, and from what I understand it has to be pretty hot outside for that to occur. This morning was cool out, lunch time was warm and overcast but not hot.

July, 7, 2010 AT 4:01 PM

Next time it refuses to start do below don't wait for nothing

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right